Windows cannot find c:\windows\system32\DelFolders.exe message

Discussion in 'Windows XP Beta Help and Support' started by Jim Bennett, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Jim Bennett

    Jim Bennett Guest

    When my machine starts I get this message:

    "Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Tools\Delfolders.exe. Make sure you
    typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click
    the Start button, and then click Search"

    I have checked the startup folder, looked in msconfig under start up,
    searched the registry, and looked at win.ini and system.ini and cannot find
    any references to this file or the call to run it. I do not have a
    Delfolders.exe file in the system32/tool directory- luckily.

    I thought it might be a remnant of a virus, but i cant seem to figure out
    where the call to run this program is coming from so that i could delete it.

    A dejanews search shows this has happened to many people out there but I
    have yet to find anyone who fixed it or reported the fix.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance

    Jim Bennett, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Jim Bennett

    sjae sja Guest

    --
    x-no-archive: yes

    Have you looked here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    ==========================

    sjae sja, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Jim Bennett

    Jim Bennett Guest

    yep, checked \run and \runonce

    it looks like windows messenger has something to do with this. i unchecked
    it from starting in msconfig and the message is gone now, even though
    messenger automatically re-adds itself after I uncheck it.

    Jim Bennett, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Jim Bennett

    How.Dare.You

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2005
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had the same problem with delfolders.exe.

    This simple solution worked for me, if you downloaded the nvidia IDE drivers goto add/remove programs and delete it.

    I no longer get the error and my comp is running great.

    How.Dare.You, Sep 25, 2005
  5. Jim Bennett

    Evna

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2005
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Staffordshire, UK
    Recently had a client’s machine for work where one of the reported problems was a message which kept appearing at start up which read….

    "Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Tools\Delfolders.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search"

    I could find no record of this in the start up entries in MSCONFIG etc and found that it was referenced from the registry key

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/RunOnce

    Deleting this entry prevented the message from appearing at the next reboot but on subsequent restarts it was right back there again… I then searched the net for answers and it would appear lots of people had done so before me.. None of the posted messages in forums etc seemed to have any kind of definitive answer some referring to Nvidia graphics software and another to Windows Messenger neither of which applied to the system I was working on… I also tried using Norton Windoctor and other Registry Cleaners to remove the offending entry as suggested by other posts but with the same result. It just came right back after a couple of reboots.

    On doing a more thorough search I noticed that there was an entry in the startup folder on the start menu called simply Reboot.exe. I had noted reference to this file elsewhere in my searches on the net but that was implying that the file was a virus and the file on this system was not being detected as a virus or malware at all. I decided to remove the entry to the recycle bin and on restarting the system there was no further display of the message. Thus deleting the file Reboot.exe from the startup folder had solved the problem.

    Intent on finding the cause for this problem I continued looking at the system and waded through log files and driver disks etc which had been passed on with the system… after a while I have come to a conclusion that this problem is the result of an interrupted or glitched install of drivers or other software…

    When the install routine runs it creates temporary folders to run the install from… It also adds a /tools folder to Windows/System32 folder and puts in a file called delfolders.exe which as it implies is to delete folders specified in the file to clean up after the installation which would include the /tools folder and delfolders.exe file. It also puts the file reboot.exe into the START/All Programs/startup folder. Reboot.exe when executed at reboot after the installation will access the Windows\system32\tools folder and execute delfolders.exe to perform the cleanup which would also include removing reboot.exe from the START/All Programs/startup folder but if there is a glitch then for some reason the reboot.exe is not removed and thus it tries to run delfolders.exe file every time the system starts…. Hence the message seen above.

    A little more digging in relation to the system I have worked on has revealed that the problem was caused by a faulty install of the Motherboard drivers disk for the Elite Motherboard (K7S5A in this instance), the drivers are for IDE, AGP Graphics, Sound and LAN which have an automated installation routine. This may also be an issue with other Hardware drivers which may use a similar installation routine.

    I do hope this throws light on this problem.. and helps anyone in the future who suffers similar problems.

    Evna

    Evna, Dec 19, 2005
  6. Jim Bennett

    MILAN_BAUTISTA

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2006
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    delfolders.exe

    I also have the same problem with my computer. Pls. help me fix this error message.

    Milan

    MILAN_BAUTISTA, Apr 8, 2006
  7. Jim Bennett

    Evna

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2005
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Staffordshire, UK
    Milan,

    Please read my post higher up this thread. i have now seen this problem three times in total and each time it has been an issue with the automated installation of drivers for motherboard resources. Also notably each time it has been related to Elite Motherboards. Does your PC seem to run ok otherwise? if so look in Start/All programs/Startup and if there is a file in there called reboot.exe, delete it and I believe your problem will cease.

    If things do not seem to be running right Re Run the motherboard installation disc and driver installation and if the procedure completes properly it will remove this message.

    Hope this help

    Evna

    Evna, Apr 8, 2006
  8. Jim Bennett

    thaiphoang

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Problem fixed

    I had an exact same problem with delFolders.exe when starting up , I followed the instruction of the other user and now it was fixed.This is what I did:
    Start -> search-> (enter) reboot.exe. After a few second the file shows up and you just rightclick to delete it.Restart the computer.It will be gone.

    thaiphoang, Apr 6, 2007
  9. Jim Bennett

    MILAN_BAUTISTA

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2006
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    DelFolders.exe Problem

    EVNA,

    Thank you for responding to my computer error regarding delfolders.exe. I followed your solution and i worked. Again, thank you and hope to get some help from you again in the future.

    MILAN

    MILAN_BAUTISTA, Jun 8, 2007
  10. Jim Bennett

    MILAN_BAUTISTA

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2006
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    eksplorasi.exe problem

    To all computer experts,

    I encountered another error in one of my computers in the office similar to the delfolders.exe problem that I posted earlier. Everytime I open the computer the following message appears on my computer screen "Windows cannot find "C:\WINDOWS\eksplorasi.exe". I wish somebody can help me solve this start-up error in my computer.

    MILAN

    MILAN_BAUTISTA, Jun 8, 2007
  11. Jim Bennett

    padreto

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    padreto, Jun 19, 2007
  12. Jim Bennett

    MILAN_BAUTISTA

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2006
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hhi Padreto!

    Thank you for your help. I'll try if your advise will work.

    Milan_Bautista

    MILAN_BAUTISTA, Aug 2, 2007
  13. Jim Bennett

    MILAN_BAUTISTA

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2006
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0

    MILAN_BAUTISTA, Aug 2, 2007
  14. Jim Bennett

    iphavorachith

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    File not find error "Delfolders.exe".

    I also agree Evna/Milan, I think it is an issue with the automated installation of drivers for motherboard resources. I have an Elite motherboard with AMD64 Athlon. It was one of those cheap combo unit I bought from Fryes a year or two ago. When I first install the unit I did not have any problem. But after I add more stuff in to it, I started to have that file not find error "Delfolders.exe". After I reinstall the motherboard software and drivers that seemed to solve the problem. But deleting the Reboot.exe from the start up program did not work for me. I have the feeling it may be one of those untraceable software/hardware conflict.

    Thank you for your help.

    Paul

    iphavorachith, Sep 10, 2007
  15. Jim Bennett

    novageek

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Another method to resolve the delfolders issue

    Another method to resolve the delfolder issue is to use the Windows Update Repair Tool

    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Windows_Update_Repair_Tool/1123680932/1

    This does more than just resolve the issue, it puts all aspects of Windows update back into proper operation about 90% of the time. (The other 10% the machine is usually a lost cause and a wipre/reload is needed).

    I tried this method after the others had failed and it worked!

    novageek, Sep 18, 2007
  16. Jim Bennett

    bakateria

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    thx Evna. It really helped me :) . i almost formatted my pc lol .

    bakateria, Nov 4, 2007
  17. Jim Bennett

    Magnum

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Try this
    go to <START> <RUN> <REGEDIT> <OK> Registry editor opens. Select <EDIT> from the menu bar and from the Pull Down menu select <FIND> In the "find what" box type in <delfolders.exe> (without the chevrons of course) and after a search it will probably find an entry for delfolders.exe and an adjacent one for reboot.exe. Delete both of these entries in turn and close regedit. Reboot the computer and your problem error message should no longer appear. NB. It is always advisable to save a backup of the registry before modifying it in case you make any mistakes. You can then always restore to its former state should it become necessary. Enjoy.
    Magnum[​IMG]

    Magnum, Jan 10, 2008
  18. Jim Bennett

    MILAN_BAUTISTA

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2006
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    To all my members,

    Please help me solve start-up error in my computer. Everytime I open my computer the following message appears: Windows cannot find "'D:\WINDOWS\o4256627.exe'". Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click Search.

    Everytime I have a problem with my computer, I always rely on this website for possible solutions, and most of the time it works. I hope somebody can help me solve my problem again.

    Milan

    MILAN_BAUTISTA, Mar 8, 2008
  19. Jim Bennett

    MILAN_BAUTISTA

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2006
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    Evna,

    I forgot to thank you regarding your solution to "delfolders.exe" error. It works for me. Now, I have another problem similar to delfolders.exe. This time, the error is "o4256627.exe" appears everytime I start my computer. Can you please help me with this problem.

    Milan

    MILAN_BAUTISTA, Mar 8, 2008
  20. Jim Bennett

    MILAN_BAUTISTA

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2006
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    To All Computer Experts,

    Please help me solve the error that always appears everytime I start my computer. A dialogue box pops-up which says:

    "Windows cannot find "'D:\WINDOWS\o4256627.exe'". Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click Search.

    I you have encountered this problem and solved it, please share it with me.

    Milan

    MILAN_BAUTISTA, Mar 15, 2008