Windows asking me to activate Vista again (activation)

The poster formerly known as Nina DiBoy

Mike said:
I assume your comment about the Linux architecture preventing infection
is based on your obvious masters or doctoral degrees in computer science.
Thought not.

So just to give you a little insight there is nothing in the Linux core
architecture that makes it any more proof against virus or malware
infection then any other micro kernel based operating system.

Why does Microsoft keep borrowing security features from it to build
into windows then?
Since Linux is effectively based (others might even say blatantly
plagiarized by Linus Torvalds) on the Minix kernel which was written by
Andrew S Tanbenbaum and often used as a teaching aid on Computer Science
degree courses (it was used on my first degree course) - I can adamantly
state that there is NOTHING in this core kernel architecture that makes
it proof against viruses.

Nothing is is completely resistant, but linux is more resistant from
viruses Thank windows for more than one reason.
The addiotnal layered subsystems (again an inherent feature in any
micros kernel architected operating systems - as is Windows too since
the kernel within Vista is a generational development form the original
NT kernel written by Dave Cutler and in parts similar in architectural
constructs to the VMS kernel the wrote for the VAX mini computers) again
do not add significant protection from virus writers.

While I could educate you much further about the intricacies of
operating system design etc - I would simply point out the fallacy of
your statement by pointing you to a world leader in Anti Virus products
and their Linux offering - apparently this tool they should never exist
according to you as the OS architecture is virus proof. !!!!
http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/products/anti_virus/file_servers_desktops/linuxshield.html

or maybe
http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/linux/
http://www.f-prot.com/products/corporate_users/unix/
http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/endpoint/security-and-control/linux/

etc etc
Wow ! so many product that should not exist !

Maybe you should go get a little more education about the detailed
working of an operation system as well as looking at the bigger IT world
picture then the PC in your room, before you go further embarrassing
your self with childish statements about operating systems being virus
or malware proof.

ditto for you, mike.

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"They hacked the Microsoft website to make it think a linux box was a
windows box. Thats called hacking. People who do hacking are called
hackers. "

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot

Mike Brannigan

The poster formerly known as Nina DiBoy said:
Why does Microsoft keep borrowing security features from it to build into
windows then?

For example ? - please provide a reference to an architectural construct in
the Windows kernel or main subsystems that you can identify as being
"borrowed" from Linux.
Nothing is is completely resistant, but linux is more resistant from
viruses Thank windows for more than one reason.

Nonsense - it is just not as heavily targeted due to its small market share
on the desktop. From an architectural perspective the Linux OS is no more
resilient to virus infection then any other modern operating system, and do
bare in mind you have launched into a discussion where "Alias" is making
absolute statements that Linux does not require anti virus, anti malware or
even a firewall.
from
No viruses

No malware

No need for an anti virus program

No need for a software firewall

No need for anti malware programs

So be careful where you place your hat on this.
ditto for you, mike.

Really? given "Alias'" statements on this matter I stand by my statement.

Frank

Adam said:
What are YOU here for Frank? To make a total ass of yourself? Well
congratulations, you're doing a great job.
Nah...I'll leave the TOTAL ASS thing up to you georgie boy.
You're the best!
Frank

Telstar

Alias said:
Fact: activation does not stop piracy.

Fact: it only inconveniences the paying customer

Ergo: paying customers are looking for alternatives to the DRM riddled and
activation/genuine riddled Vista.

Fact: I am happy to provide the public service to people who are not aware
that there are alternatives to Vista.

Alias

It is not a public service...it is a public nuisance.

Telstar

Alias said:
It doesn't slow it down one iota. There was a crack out for Vista before
it was released to the general public. You can buy Vista in China for less
than five US wimpy dollars.

Oh, and that makes it all right? Not that that's true. Over time people
have become more computer savvy and know how to change a faulty NIC that
will promptly demand reactivation, usually by phone.

Use a DVD until the Blue Ray/HD war is over. What did you "go back to"
when the BetaMax/VHS wars were on?

Being as you asked, here are the advantages of Linux over Windows:

It's free

It is not free...it just pretends to be so. It will take your life over in
time spent.

Mike said:
For example ? - please provide a reference to an architectural construct
in the Windows kernel or main subsystems that you can identify as being
"borrowed" from Linux.
UAC

Nonsense - it is just not as heavily targeted due to its small market
share on the desktop.

That's one reason.
From an architectural perspective the Linux OS is
no more resilient to virus infection then any other modern operating
system, and do bare in mind you have launched into a discussion where
"Alias" is making absolute statements that Linux does not require anti
virus, anti malware or even a firewall.
from

So be careful where you place your hat on this.

Stop pinning things on me I never said.
Really? given "Alias'" statements on this matter I stand by my statement.

Your fanboy confidence comes as no surprise.

--

Telstar said:
It is not free...it just pretends to be so. It will take your life over in
time spent.

My sentiments exactly! It has happened every time I've sampled any
distro of linux.
At first it's kind of fun, new and exciting. Then it becomes like a
hobby. Then it turns into a job that does not pay and eventually you
hate the job.
Delete, reformat.
End of story.
Repeat numerous times until you're cured.
I think I'm now cured (hopefully).
Frank

Peter in New Zealand

Frank said:
My sentiments exactly! It has happened every time I've sampled any
distro of linux.
At first it's kind of fun, new and exciting. Then it becomes like a
hobby. Then it turns into a job that does not pay and eventually you
hate the job.
Delete, reformat.
End of story.
Repeat numerous times until you're cured.
I think I'm now cured (hopefully).
Frank

For heaven's sake! I come to this group for some helpful and interesting
dialogue about Vista, not to bang heads with alternative OS folk who
seem bent on anti MS ranting.

Do I use Vista?

Yes!

Do I like it?

Generally yes!

Do I like activation?

Nope! Hate it.

But it's here - learn to live with it - get over it - go peel a grape!
Or whatever takes your fancy.

But for heaven's sake please stop crapping up this group with the same
pointless anti MS rants that were posted endlessly when XP first came
out. It's like deja vue from XP's debut. Must save up these posts for
each time a new OS version comes out.

I appreciate you don't like MS, Windows, Vista, and activation. That's
your perogative. But stop trying to evangelise me and everyone else. To
hide behind the excuse of just making people aware is ridiculous.

For the record, I worked extensively with various flavours of Linux of
some years. My take? I just got sick of being told this issue and that
issue would be fixed in the next release. Or by hacking through an
incredibly arcane set of command line processes. Linux is a fine piece
of work as far as it goes, but as a computer tutor and builder for over
ten years I can tell you people can learn how to work with Windows a
hell of a lot quicker than Linux.

Regardless of all that, Vista is here, activation is here, and it ain't
going away anytime soon. So for heaven's sake please get over it and use
this group for its intended purpose.

"alt.linux.switchto" perhaps?

KristleBawl

I agree with you completely!

I came here when I bought my new pc to learn about my new Vista, not to wade
through the mud blocking garbage in order to find the real information.

KB

"Peter in New Zealand" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Alias

Telstar said:
It is not a public service...it is a public nuisance.

You have two choices: learn how to kill file or use self control and
don't read the posts you aren't interested in. No one is holding a gun
to your head to force you to read any post or any newsgroup for that matter.

Alias

Alias

Telstar said:
It is not free...it just pretends to be so. It will take your life over in
time spent.

All operating systems have a learning curve. The difference is you have
to pay cash for Windows' learning curve but you don't with Linux.

Alias

Alias

Peter said:
Regardless of all that, Vista is here, activation is here, and it ain't
going away anytime soon.

Time will tell but the Romans said the same thing about Rome, the
British said the same thing about the British Empire as did the Spanish
and the Spanish Empire. All are gone.

MS currently enjoys the OS Empire but, due to its arrogance and greed,
it will go the way of all other empires.

Vista is the past. Linux is the future. Live with it.

Alias

Alias

KristleBawl said:
I agree with you completely!

I came here when I bought my new pc to learn about my new Vista, not to
wade through the mud blocking garbage in order to find the real
information.

KB

New to Usenet? If you want specific help, pull out your wallet and call
Microsoft.

Alias
"Peter in New Zealand" wrote in message

Xenomorph

I don’t understand what the hell the problem is.

If Windows wants to Active, then ACTIVATE.

If it can't activate for some reason, then it will provide a phone number to
call to manually activate.

Xenomorph

He *PAID* for a *LICENSE* that says he must *ACTIVATE* however many times
Microsoft wants him to.

He didn't buy software or the right to not activate.

He paid for the privilege to have Microsoft require him to activate every 10
minutes if they please.

Frank

Xenomorph said:
He *PAID* for a *LICENSE* that says he must *ACTIVATE* however many
times Microsoft wants him to.

He didn't buy software or the right to not activate.

He paid for the privilege to have Microsoft require him to activate
every 10 minutes if they please.
Geeze...lets all get xenophobic!
Gawd...give it a freaking rest, ok.
Frank

Peter in New Zealand

Frank said:
Geeze...lets all get xenophobic!
Gawd...give it a freaking rest, ok.
Frank
Just to clear the dust a little - - - Alias says MS will eventually fold
due to greed etc etc. I totally agree with him. I also agree with him
that they indulge in practices that can only be described as bullying. I
don't like activation, I don't like their perceived attitude, and I
don't like the way they appear to believe theirs is the best software in
the world, just because they are the ones who make it.

And none of that matters one single solitary bit. They are here at
present, Vista is here at present, activation is here at present, and
MS's attitudes are here at present. There's not a damn thing you or I or
anyone else can do to change the way things are at present. If someone
wants to change to Linux, good on them. If they want to go completely MS
free, good on them. I applaud their efforts. But don't get in my face in
this group with a load of evangelistic zeal and make me feel an idiot
just because I choose to stay with the MS way at the moment.

And when it comes to which is the best OS, I personally couldn't give a
sun dried knob of goat spit about it. Windows works for me - YMMV, and
that's fine too. If Linux or whatever works fine for you - hey - that's
OK too. Just don't treat me in a patronising and condescending way
simply because I happen to prefer Windows.

Amen! Cor blimey mate - that feels better. Thanks for putting up with
the rant. I never do this in news groups. And I promise not to do it
again. :)

Frank

Peter said:
[...]

hey, hey!
No worries mate. :)
Frank

Peter in New Zealand

Amen! Cor blimey mate - that feels better. Thanks for putting up with
hey, hey!
No worries mate. :)
Frank

Whooo! Did I really write that? I MUST have been mad. Like any good ol'
Kiwi bloke always says, "She'll be rite mate!"

And now - - - back to our normal program . . . . . .

Telstar

The future contains NONE of these OSs!