    --
    Thanks,
    Brad Simon

    Guest, Jul 12, 2004

  2. >So, I will leave the question wide open, what are your considerations for developing a web application vs. a windows application?

    Windows apps:

    * Full rich UI support - much more powerful than any web apps I've
    seen as of yet

    * Full access to everything - less security and user context fuss

    * The only real choice for anything that's beyond viewing data and
    *light* data entry - if you need high throughput, editing and entry of
    large volumes of data, don't even begin to consider a web app - no
    way, José

    * Only negative point really: deployment (need to install /
    distribute)

    Web apps:

    * Great because they don't need to be distributed

    * They pretty much suck at anything beyond viewing / displaying data,
    and simple data entry

    * Session-management, user contexts / security, and other things tend
    to be a lot messier than with desktop apps (in my opinion)

    So, basically - if you want to give the whole world an online catalog,
    go with a web app - if you want to do any serious data entry work, or
    if you deal with something more complex than a simple order / list of
    items structure, you're better off with a real WinForms app.

    Marc
    Marc Scheuner May The Source Be With You!
    Bern, Switzerland m.scheuner(at)inova.ch

    Marc Scheuner [MVP ADSI], Jul 12, 2004

    John Spiegel Guest

    Hey Brad,

    Marc already pretty much covered why in high-function apps Windows is a much
    better choice than Web for the non-mass cases.

    Another view of the same points is that a Web app would probably cost
    _TIMES_ as much as a Windows app to truly match the functionality and
    performance still would not equate.

    If your client is interested in the "whys", tell him to consider what's
    involved (at a basic level).
    - Windows apps have a fairly consistent front end while Web apps should
    generally support lowest common denominators which can in some cases really
    constrain the development and force a lot of work arounds.
    - Windows apps will run across a network where state can be maintained. The
    Web is stateless, so any state management is grafted on. It's like driving
    to the store where you know the path versus having to stop and call the
    store for the next direction at every intersection.
    - State management aside, performance will still be slower on the Web. Most
    any "real" decision MUST come back to the server then get relaunched. Even
    with high-speed connections, that will still be a bottleneck. Plus, more
    has to be built around the response. A WinForm may just need to check back
    to get data, the Web app gets the data, then has to build the HTML around it
    before returning.

    If he's trying to find out which way to go, i.e., he thinks the Web is a
    good idea but really has no current need for it in the app at hand, tell him
    to go Windows and you, being the incredible developer you are, can build the
    classes with that in mind for the easiest path to putting a Web face on the
    Windows app should that day come.

    - John

    "Brad Simon" <> wrote in message
    > My Client asked me to put together some reasons as to what determines if

    an application would be developed as a windows application or web
    application. I have started working on it, but I would like to make sure I
    don't miss anything. So, I will leave the question wide open, what are your

    John Spiegel, Jul 12, 2004

    Cor Ligthert Guest

    Hi Brad,

    I agree with most statements of the others, what I want to add is that a
    window application (even if it is with a webservice) needs to be deployed on
    a clientcomputer on which your customer has full right to install that.
    (Beside if it is easy or not, because that can be done easy using a
    website). Or as I say it, a webpage is to reach the whole world, the
    windowforms only for your own environment (whatever that maybe)

    And a minor point, a webpage will mostly need a more simple computer than a
    windowform.

    When I have the change, than my choise is as well the windowform because of
    the same arguments as already stated in the other messages.

    I hope this adds something?

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert, Jul 12, 2004