Windows 32 bit Only Recognizes 3Gigs...(

Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

The Dillema we know Windows 32 Bit will only recognize up to 3Gigs of Ram, However... As most people are physically able to install up to 4Gigs, Here is my question with a 32bit OS and 4Gigs installed Is that extra gig of ram being utillized for anything at all or is it a total waste of memory? And along with that question I must also ask the question whatever the response is to the first question Does that 4th Gig Hinder if not help perfomance overall or at all.

Thank You

Peace~N~Goodwill StarChild.exe
wallbash.gif

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
thats an interesting one

AFAIK anything over 3GB isn't used, but if you were to install 3x 1GB sticks of ram you wouldn't be able to run in dual channel mode which makes things slighly faster

going on that theory the 4th GB is kinda wasted but is also kinda needed

*waits patiently for mucks to disagree*

Reaction score
The performance difference from 2 to 4gb is negligible - you won't notice a real improvement really unless you are doing CAD work.

Until you run Vista, 4gb is complete overkill.

I'm not aware of it hindering performance though, its just a waste of power really.

*also waits patiently for mucks to disagree*

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I went from 2 to 4 gb mainly because i want Vista 64 bit later in the year. (and we all know Vista loves more RAM, and so will the latest/upcoming games.) and i did max out my RAM usage with 2GB, mainly when gaming, Oh, and with the memory remap function in BIOS windows 32bit will 'see' 3.5gb.

I got the second 2gb kit mainly because it was only £65 on 'this week only' at OCUK as opposed to the £110 i originally paid when i got the first 2GB's. (it now sells for £85) I personally couldn't resist. Why buy an extra 1gb stick when you could get a 2gb matched pair for the same cost?

Is it worth it? Well as i crunch on a C2D, that means i run two WU's at a time, coupled with playing dirt, STALKER and other games at the highest possible settings and with 16x AA and AF forced in the CP my PC uses about 2.1-2.3GB of ram. so IMO its worth it. Its now i wish i had a screenshot to show you....

Is it overkill? Yes maybe, but so what, its my pc.

Having said that, i am back down to 2GB atm as the original kit failed a week ago, and yes when playing games i do notice a slight difference....albeit a few FPS less, but as an avid gamer to me thats bad.

Potguy said:
Until you run Vista64, 4gb is complete overkill.
Fixed. :)

[/Drunken rambling end]

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
why me ... you can all read ... cant you ?

The Dilemma we know Windows 32 Bit will only recognize up to 3Gigs of Ram...
No, XP32bit CAN recognize 4gig ... but, other factors that I have written about before come into play. ;)

However... As most people are physically able to install up to 4Gigs, Here is my question with a 32bit OS and 4Gigs installed Is that extra gig of ram being utilized for anything at all or is it a total waste of memory?
Now that, is the 64$ question. :p

Lets say it again ... XP 32bit only "needs" 1.5gig ... we, however, like to round things up, so we use 2gig ... and yes, I would say, as there are a lot of other factors involved, that any more than 2gig on XP 32bit is just a waste.

You don't have to take my word, but there is a lot of FUDD on the subject. ;)

For those of you that do have more than 1gig of ram, tell me, how much is free ... why is it free ??? why is it NOT being used ???

For those of you using Vista with more than 2gig ram, tell me the same answer ... and yes, Vista 32bit suffers the same anomaly as XP with 4gig, but, in Vista, you will not see much 'free' ram. ;)

If you are happy to stick 4gig in, go ahead, you won't kill it. :D

Reaction score
Ok Muck you got me I was lazy:p Next time I will try to find your First Post on a given topic:D Color me Officially spanked lol

But hey TY:)

And I am Just Like V_R I love my games mate can't ever have to much DDR2 for GAMES!!!

Thank Ye Muckster~

Ask a Question