Windows XP Windows 2000/XP Home: incompatibility issues?

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I just installed on my laptop & desktop the driver for a Newlink Bluetooth Mini Dongle 100m. It does support 98SE/ME/2000/XP Xv 10.1.2 and higher. It provides wireless connection via USB so you can share docs, files, access Internet, etc.
Once completed, the laptop found the desktop and viceversa (great :) because they are placed on 2 different floors) but could not transfer any file from/to either machines.:( Dial-up Networking and Network Access are not working either.:confused: Then later I have been told that there is an incompatibility issue between XP and 2000 and that soon (don't know when yet, hope very soon) they should release an update.
Some colleagues have had similar problems. Has any of you experienced anything like it? Could anybody confirm the release of an update to sort out these incompatibility issues?
Thanks a lot.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
SP2 for XP I beleive will help ... it has updated network drivers. Don't know if it will help connecting to 2000 though.

:)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
SP2 for XP I beleive will help ... it has updated network drivers. Don't know if it will help connecting to 2000 though.

:)

Txs for your answer,
but I'm not sure I understood what you are saying. I'm not a Pc guru and so what's SP2?:blush:
Have you heard - as I did - of any other people with similar problems? I've been told that Microsoft should release an update pack soon to sort it out. Is it true?
Thx

Reaction score
Service packs are "mega updates" which help improve the version of windows you use by making it more secure or adds new features etc... in esence it just a bundle of updates thrown together into one smart package.

An example is with SP2 windows XP now has a security centre that monitors your firewall and antivirus and the stanndard firewall itself is greatly improved with popup blocking etc etc.

With SP2 the version of windows XP you use dissapears from the boot screen and the date 2004 is added to the bottom left to replace the 1988-2001 copyright microsoft thing.

Things like that.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Better Bluetooth discovery and configuration

Thanks to a coincidence of timing, Windows XP shipped without support for Bluetooth, an ever-emerging replacement for IR wireless communications between devices. However, beginning in 2002, Microsoft began adding Bluetooth support to Windows XP through a software update and drivers for its Bluetooth mice and keyboards. In XP SP2, Bluetooth-equipped users will see huge improvements in the way XP detects and interacts with Bluetooth devices.

If your PC is Bluetooth-equipped, and the Bluetooth receiver is enabled, you'll see a small blue Bluetooth logo in the system tray. From here, you can access various Bluetooth-related tasks, such as adding a device, sending or receiving a file, or joining a Personal Area Network (PAN) (Figure). Bluetooth is also a bit more obvious in the Control Panel (it's listed under Printers and Other Hardware) and includes a slick new Control Panel applet with a nice wizard for adding Bluetooth devices. For security reasons, you can add a passkey to any Bluetooth-compatible device (Figure), ensuring that it's "locked" to your system (you wouldn't want a Bluetooth mouse on one system to control the cursor on another, for example).

It's nice to see Microsoft finally treating Bluetooth like a first class citizen, if you'll excuse the terminology, but I still have my doubts that Bluetooth will ever take off as a mainstream technology. Regardless of my opinion, XP SP2's Bluetooth support is top-notch and much appreciated.

Windows XP Service Pack2 Review

:thumb:

Reaction score
Guys,
thank you very much for your help. I will install the "SP2" (I know that one now!) update and will see how the Bluetooth communication will go between 2000 and XP Home. Fingers crossed. I will let u know.
Thx
Rgds

Reaction score
didn't know that, cheers mucks.

couldn't really care less about blue tooth though, but nice to know ;)

Reaction score
how do i install bluetooth for my computer so i can put songs on my phone?is it possible when i have windows millenium edition?thanx very much laura xx

Ask a Question