Windows 2000 server - won't start up

No one

This may be better posted in the general area, but I can't
access that group for some reason -

Anyhow, a couple days ago I ran a windows update on my
Windows 2000 server - it rebooted and started mostly back
up. After logging in, it hung up - no applications were
showing up in the task manager, but there were processes
running. Two processes were between them using all of the
CPU. I rebooted when it became apparent that nothing was
happening -

On restart, the computer hung up on the "preparing network
connections" screen with a normal start. Ditto for every
try.

When trying to start in safe mode (any variation), it gets
to the login screen, but not past it - after saying it's
logging in for a while, it goes back to the ctrl, alt, del
screen.

I tried using the Win2k server boot disks to run the
repair utility, but it crashes to a blue screen on the
fourth disk -

I'm using an NTFS partition, so I can't access it from my
Win98 computer or from Dos. I am able to see the drive in
FDisk, tho, and it's showing that the drive is using 100%
of capacity - my best guess at this point is that the
update filled the drive and there is not enough virtual
memory to start or space to do whatever installation the
boot disks are trying. Thing is, I've got 512mb of memory
and it usually uses only a little over half that - seems
like it should at least be able to start...

Anyhow, for starters, is there any way to access the hard
drive without actually starting Win2k or using the
emergency restore programs? Something along the lines of
Dos? If it is just a space problem, all I need to do is
delete some files...

Otherwise, what else can I do?

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

This is a complicated issue since there are few troubleshooting steps we
can try based on the current status. What's more, based on my experience,
server down issues are generally urgent and may affect your business.
Therefore, it is highly recommended that you open a case with our Product
Support Service so that a dedicated engineer with the right specialty can
work with you in a timely manner.

For your convenience, I have included the following link:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/webresponse.asp

However, if you prefer troubleshooting here, I would like to provide the
following suggestion:

To access NTFS and perform writing operations, the easiest way is to
connect the hard disk from this computer to a Windows 2000 or XP based
system. Then the hard disk will be detected and can be operated in Windows
Explorer. Please check if it is a space issue.

By the way, please also let me know:

-Have you made backups for this server before?
-What is the role of this server?

Thanks!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

From: "No one" <[email protected]>
Sender: "No one" <[email protected]>
Subject: Windows 2000 server - won't start up
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:03:19 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

[...]

Robert Schoen rob

I have a client with their main file server having the same issue.
Upon a reboot last night the server comes up to preparing network
connections and hangs. Safe mode does not allow login as well. Windows
updates were applied last week but that first reboot was okay until
this week. We restored a system state from last week with no luck.
Have you had any luck on locating a fix? Our system is a active
directory controller, but is not the hold the FSMO roles. They have
one other server that holds those and is up and running fine. All
windows update were applied to both system and the same time and both
are identical hardware, Compaq Proliant ML370 G3 dual processor.
(e-mail address removed)
Thanks in advance

No one

The server is used for DSL internet access, file and print
sharing, and for the access database I use for my
customers. I have a backup dialup connection on a Win98
computer and the database is backed up, so it's not
critical to get it running immediately - I guess you could
say it's as much a learning experience as a necessity for
my business. Since I don't have another Win2k system, my
next step was just going to be to get another hard drive
to install Win2k on that temporarily so I can access it.

As an update, I did manage to access the restore program
from the boot disks - for some reason, it fails to start
every other time... In any case, I couldn't get access to
any of the folders above the Winnt directory, so I can't
delete any of the files I wanted to that way (just says
access denied since I'm only able to log into Winnt). I
ran the recovery program but it had no effect on the
problem. Maybe someone can shed light on this - my
current admin password wasn't accepted by the console, but
the OLD one was...

I'll pick up another hard drive tomorrow and get a fresh
copy of Win2k running on it so I can access the drive and
see if clearing up some files helps -

I have a client with their main file server having the same issue.
Upon a reboot last night the server comes up to preparing network
connections and hangs. Safe mode does not allow login as well. Windows
updates were applied last week but that first reboot was okay until
this week. We restored a system state from last week with no luck.
Have you had any luck on locating a fix? Our system is a active
directory controller, but is not the hold the FSMO roles. They have
one other server that holds those and is up and running fine. All
windows update were applied to both system and the same time and both
are identical hardware, Compaq Proliant ML370 G3 dual processor.
(e-mail address removed)
Thanks in advance

(e-mail address removed) (Joe Wu [MSFT]) wrote in

From: "No one" <[email protected]>
Sender: "No one" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:03:19 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

--
.

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your reply and for letting me know the current status there.

We can build parallel Windows 2000 system on another partition which has
enough free space. Using this parallel system we can perform more
troubleshooting steps.

The method to build the dual boot system is almost the same as the current
one, except that you need to choose another partition during the
installation.

In the meantime, please also try to load lastknowngood configuration:
------------------------------------
1) Restart your system.
2) When the Starting Windows screen shows, press F8.
3) Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then
press ENTER.

NOTE: When you choose Last Known Good Configuration, only the information
in registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet is restored. Any changes you
have made in other registry keys remain. During startup, Windows 2000 reads
the CurrentControl Set to gain information about the hardware installed on
the computer as well as the system services required to boot the operating
system.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Regards,
Joe Wu