Windows 2000 query

Reaction score
Hallo,
Can anyone tell me if 'cold' calls claiming to be from 'Microsoft Support' are genuine please?.
I have had two so far, with almost unintelligible 'Indian' explanations that my computer has 'faults' (and they lead me through my computer (running Win2000) to Event Viewer Applications to 'show' me that there were masses of 'Perfib' errors), and said they would show me how to fix it if I went to a website they had!.

Is this a scam, or does Microsoft call people to inform them of receiving 'error' messages from users computers?.,
Any advice welcomed, Richard

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
No they are not genuine, yes it's a scam, so tell them in extremely unpleasant terms to go away.

Even better, get a football whistle and when they call again give 'em a blast down the mouthpiece :lol:

This is a common scam, unfortunately.

And welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Thanks very much, I did wonder, but it's true that they were able to 'show' me in Applications a long list of Perfib errors, so almost had me convinced!,
Cheers,
Richard(ps: Now I just have to worry what all those 'errors' refer to!!)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
There probably were no errors, they were likely just 'manufactured' by the scammers to scare you.

Rest easy, they wanted your money, they haven't got it, all is good.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
if you look on anybody's computer, running Windows, via event viewer, you will see a whole shed load of 'errors' and 'warning' ... ignore every one of them. :)

Microsoft do not, and never have, called 'customers' with 'warnings' about potential problems ... hell, we got enough troubles getting them to issue fixes for the errors & problems we do have. :lol:

:user:

Ask a Question