Windows 2000 Pro/ SP4 issue

G

I have installed Windows 2000 Pro on a newly formatted/fdisked PC. The installation works without a problem. I can work, install applications, upgrade IE etc. All of the drivers install correctly. I connect to the network without a problem

After installing SP4, the computer asks to reboot. From then on, it boots up to the GUI mode, and then restarts automatically. It gets into a cycle, and cannot be bypassed by safe mode. This only happens after SP4 has been applied. I have reinstalled 10 times

Any ideas?

G

George Hester

The only thing I have read on this besides maybe just a fluke is that the machine you are trying to install on has hotfixes on it that were not publically released. I would obtain qfecheck at Microsoft and then check to see which hotfixes you have installed. Then read the Release Notes for the SP4 install. The list of conflicting hotfixes are in there.

C

Colon Terminus

Peter Downes said:
I have installed Windows 2000 Pro on a newly formatted/fdisked PC. The
installation works without a problem. I can work, install applications,
upgrade IE etc. All of the drivers install correctly. I connect to the
network without a problem.
After installing SP4, the computer asks to reboot. From then on, it boots
up to the GUI mode, and then restarts automatically. It gets into a cycle,
and cannot be bypassed by safe mode. This only happens after SP4 has been
applied. I have reinstalled 10 times!
Any ideas?

Yeah, quit installing SP4. It cuases problems for lottsa people.
Install SP3 and any critical updates you feel are necessary and let it go at
that.

Ask a Question