Windows 2000 printer port can't be deleted

Dave

I have a Windows 2000 print server that was having
problems with one particular printer. After verifying
that the printer itself wasn't the problem, we connected
it to a different print server and it worked ok, I
deleted the printer so I could re-create it, on the
chance that something got corrupted with the printer
queue.

What I couldn't do, which I have never had a problem with
before, was delete the printer port. When I tried, I got
the message, 'Selected port cannot be deleted. Operation
could not be completed.' I have already created a new
printer port and queue for the printer, and they work
just fine. All I want to do is keep my port listing
clean. Any suggestions?

Dave

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Dave" <[email protected]>
Subject: Windows 2000 printer port can't be deleted
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:53:32 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

--

Dave,

Try stopping the Print Spooler service and then see if you can delete the port.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.