Windows 2000 Domain Renaming - NetBios Domain Name same as DNS Domain Name

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 DNS' started by news.microsoft.com, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. I went through the q Article on changing the domain name Q292541, but ran
    into problems near the end of the installation of the NT BDC. The
    Replication Fails! I have tried everything to include NLTEST, NETDOM, making
    changes to the Object in ADSI. Etc.. see the articles below. It looks like
    the BDC joined the 2000 Domain but fails during the replication between the
    PDC Emulator and the BDC.

    Once the Replication fails, you can log into the BDC with the Administrator
    account with no password even though the Domain Administrator account does
    have one. The Netlogon Service fails to start and manual attempts to start
    give the Access Denied (Error 0005). When you use Server Manager on a 2000
    Domain Controller, the newly created BDC (whether is was created in Domain
    Controllers OU in AD or using Server Manager), is grayed out. When you
    remove the BDC from the Domain in Server Manger, it changes from Backup
    Server to a Workstation and turns BLUE. The Domain is in MIXED Mode.

    The reason for the domain name change is b/c the previous admin used the
    same old NT NetBIOS Domain Name as the DNS Domain name, leaving no room for
    a Hierarchical Structure. I am trying to add a child domain but the DNS
    lookup fails because the Forest Domain name is wrong.

    Any suggestions on how to the BDC to sync up with the 2000 domain?

    How to Rename the DNS Name of a Windows 2000 Domain

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q292541&

    How To Use Netdom.exe to Reset Machine Account Passwords of a Windows 2000
    Domain Controller

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q260575

    Nltest Tool Does Not Work When You Reset the Secure Channel Using NetBIOS
    Computer Name

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260889&Product=win2000

    How To Create a Computer Object in the Active Directory for a Windows NT 4.0
    BDC

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221826&Product=win2000

    Err Msg: At Least One Service or Driver Failed...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;175653&Product=nts40

    Windows 2000 Domain Controller Trusts May Not Work with LMCompatibilityLevel
    of 4 or 5

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257646&Product=win2000

    How to Use the RestrictAnonymous Registry Value in Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246261&Product=win2000

    Thanks in advance.

    Ron Paskowski

    MCSE, MCSA, Net+

    news.microsoft.com, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Try the following:

    1) Delete any account for the NT4 BDC that you may have already created.
    2) Open the old Server Manager on the 2000 PDC by going to Start - Run -
    srvmgr
    3) Go Ciomputer - Add to domain - Windows NT Backup Domain Controller and
    specify the name of the machine.
    4) Reinstall the BDC and add it to the domain. You may need to either have
    WINS running or a lmhosts file on the local BDC to get it to join the domain
    and sync.

    Hope this helps

    --
    Mark Ramey [MSFT]