Window Update Help Please

R

Ronald Rey

QUESTIONS:

1. What typically would cause the issues I describe below to happen? (Both the initial
problem of the Update freezing plus the reinstallation of a previously applied update).

2. Will I have to be concerned with these issues whenever I install a new program? I have
not removed any Updates or Hotfixes, but I did install two new programs four days ago (from
321 software).

WHAT HAPPENED:

The last time I used Windows Update, it worked fine about a week ago. But yesterday,
Windows Update failed to download my selected updates and I found the solution from the
Windows Update Troubleshooter (Windows XP Pro). I've copied the relevant problem and
solution below for reference from the Troubleshooter page. I found that the .JS extension
was not properly associated per the instructions below .... Notepad.exe instead of the
proper WScript.exe was shown associated, so I corrected it plus re-registered the other four
files as explained by the Troubleshooter.

Update worked after that, plus found one additional Critical Update to download that was not
listed before I corrected the files .... which surprised me. The additional update was:

814078: Security Update (Microsoft Jscript version 5.6, Windows 2000, Windows XP)

But checking my update history I see that 814078 was previously installed in April 2003 and
again in October 2003 ..... that made me curious about what's going on with my system.

Thanks ... RR

This is from the Windows Update Troubleshooter for reference:

After accepting the EULA, the Windows Update - Web Page Dialog window appears but the
download never starts. Nothing "moves" on the download progress bar, no matter how long you
leave the connection open.

Resolutions:

Please re-register the following files:
regsvr32 msscript.ocx
regsvr32 dispex.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 scrrun.dll

1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."
2. Type regsvr32 msscript.ocx in the "Open" box and click "OK."
3. Repeat for dispex.dll,vbscript.dll, and scrrun.dll.

Next, make sure file (open) type .JS is properly associated:
1. In Control Panel, click "Folder Options," and then click "File Types."
2. Locate the .JS extension and click "Advanced."
3. Make sure the "Application to perform action" field contains:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %* This is for a Windows XP computer. For Windows 2000
substitute the C:\WINDOWS\ with C:\Winnt\. For Windows 98 and Windows Millenium Edition
substitute this: C:\WINDOWS\System\ for C:\Windows\system32.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Please repost your question to the experts in the Windows Update newsgroup:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| QUESTIONS:
|
| 1. What typically would cause the issues I describe below to happen? (Both the initial
| problem of the Update freezing plus the reinstallation of a previously applied update).
|
| 2. Will I have to be concerned with these issues whenever I install a new program? I have
| not removed any Updates or Hotfixes, but I did install two new programs four days ago (from
| 321 software).
|
| WHAT HAPPENED:
|
| The last time I used Windows Update, it worked fine about a week ago. But yesterday,
| Windows Update failed to download my selected updates and I found the solution from the
| Windows Update Troubleshooter (Windows XP Pro). I've copied the relevant problem and
| solution below for reference from the Troubleshooter page. I found that the .JS extension
| was not properly associated per the instructions below .... Notepad.exe instead of the
| proper WScript.exe was shown associated, so I corrected it plus re-registered the other four
| files as explained by the Troubleshooter.
|
| Update worked after that, plus found one additional Critical Update to download that was not
| listed before I corrected the files .... which surprised me. The additional update was:
|
| 814078: Security Update (Microsoft Jscript version 5.6, Windows 2000, Windows XP)
|
| But checking my update history I see that 814078 was previously installed in April 2003 and
| again in October 2003 ..... that made me curious about what's going on with my system.
|
|
|
| Thanks ... RR
|
| This is from the Windows Update Troubleshooter for reference:
| _______________________________________________
| Problem Description:
|
| After accepting the EULA, the Windows Update - Web Page Dialog window appears but the
| download never starts. Nothing "moves" on the download progress bar, no matter how long you
| leave the connection open.
|
| Resolutions:
|
| Please re-register the following files:
| regsvr32 msscript.ocx
| regsvr32 dispex.dll
| regsvr32 vbscript.dll
| regsvr32 scrrun.dll
|
| 1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."
| 2. Type regsvr32 msscript.ocx in the "Open" box and click "OK."
| 3. Repeat for dispex.dll,vbscript.dll, and scrrun.dll.
|
| Next, make sure file (open) type .JS is properly associated:
| 1. In Control Panel, click "Folder Options," and then click "File Types."
| 2. Locate the .JS extension and click "Advanced."
| 3. Make sure the "Application to perform action" field contains:
| C:\WINDOWS\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %* This is for a Windows XP computer. For Windows 2000
| substitute the C:\WINDOWS\ with C:\Winnt\. For Windows 98 and Windows Millenium Edition
| substitute this: C:\WINDOWS\System\ for C:\Windows\system32.

R

Ronald Rey

But, but ...... I did .... ??

Carey Frisch said:
Please repost your question to the experts in the Windows Update newsgroup:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------

| QUESTIONS:
|
| 1. What typically would cause the issues I describe below to happen? (Both the initial
| problem of the Update freezing plus the reinstallation of a previously applied update).
|
| 2. Will I have to be concerned with these issues whenever I install a new program? I have
| not removed any Updates or Hotfixes, but I did install two new programs four days ago (from
| 321 software).
|
| WHAT HAPPENED:
|
| The last time I used Windows Update, it worked fine about a week ago. But yesterday,
| Windows Update failed to download my selected updates and I found the solution from the
| Windows Update Troubleshooter (Windows XP Pro). I've copied the relevant problem and
| solution below for reference from the Troubleshooter page. I found that the .JS extension
| was not properly associated per the instructions below .... Notepad.exe instead of the
| proper WScript.exe was shown associated, so I corrected it plus re-registered the other four
| files as explained by the Troubleshooter.
|
| Update worked after that, plus found one additional Critical Update to download that was not
| listed before I corrected the files .... which surprised me. The additional update was:
|
| 814078: Security Update (Microsoft Jscript version 5.6, Windows 2000, Windows XP)
|
| But checking my update history I see that 814078 was previously installed in April 2003 and
| again in October 2003 ..... that made me curious about what's going on with my system.
|
|
|
| Thanks ... RR
|
| This is from the Windows Update Troubleshooter for reference:
| _______________________________________________
| Problem Description:
|
| After accepting the EULA, the Windows Update - Web Page Dialog window appears but the
| download never starts. Nothing "moves" on the download progress bar, no matter how long you
| leave the connection open.
|
| Resolutions:
|
| Please re-register the following files:
| regsvr32 msscript.ocx
| regsvr32 dispex.dll
| regsvr32 vbscript.dll
| regsvr32 scrrun.dll
|
| 1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."
| 2. Type regsvr32 msscript.ocx in the "Open" box and click "OK."
| 3. Repeat for dispex.dll,vbscript.dll, and scrrun.dll.
|
| Next, make sure file (open) type .JS is properly associated:
| 1. In Control Panel, click "Folder Options," and then click "File Types."
| 2. Locate the .JS extension and click "Advanced."
| 3. Make sure the "Application to perform action" field contains:
| C:\WINDOWS\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %* This is for a Windows XP computer. For Windows 2000
| substitute the C:\WINDOWS\ with C:\Winnt\. For Windows 98 and Windows Millenium Edition
| substitute this: C:\WINDOWS\System\ for C:\Windows\system32.

Ask a Question