Window opens Maximized. I want it to open Normal Size

Humpty Dumpty

I open Notepad by clicking the shortcut (in Properties I checked "Normal
Size" window).
It opens Maximized (double squares in the upper right corner).
I restore it to Normal Size.
I close Notepad.
Next time I open it, it opens again Maximized. Windows did not remember.
I want it to open in Normal Size.
This is happening, I think, since I installed IE8.
TIA
Humpty

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Close all Notepad files | Open a new TXT file | Make it the size you want |
Close it.

Humpty Dumpty

It didn't work.
I did the following (I repeat to see if I did understand to the letter):
1) No application is opened.
2) Open a TXT file. It opens Maximized. I cannot resize it.
3) I restore the Maximized window to Normal Size. Here I can make it any
size I want.
4) I close it.
5) Next time I open a new TXT file, it opens again Maximized. Not the size
it was when I closed it.
I am confused. I know the procedure you suggest; must be something else.
Humpty

Terry R.

The date and time was Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:07:11 AM, and on a whim,
Humpty Dumpty pounded out on the keyboard:
It didn't work.
I did the following (I repeat to see if I did understand to the letter):
1) No application is opened.
2) Open a TXT file. It opens Maximized. I cannot resize it.
3) I restore the Maximized window to Normal Size. Here I can make it any
size I want.
4) I close it.
5) Next time I open a new TXT file, it opens again Maximized. Not the size
it was when I closed it.
I am confused. I know the procedure you suggest; must be something else.
Humpty

Hi Humpty,

If you just open Notepad by itself, does it open Maximized (Start, Run,
notepad, click OK)? Try sizing the window and saving a file, then open
Notepad again and see if it sticks. Usually PAB's method works, but
maybe saving once will force it.

Terry R.

Peter Foldes

Patrick Christopher Butts

Why not get into a car and do a repeat performance. Maybe it will work for
everyone's liking this time

Leythos

From: "Leythos" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Window opens Maximized. I want it to open Normal Size
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 15:46:57 -0700

The headers from the Usenet posts prove that the message was not posted
by myself, Leythos. The Usenet troll/unethical hack, PCBUTTS is posting
impersonating myself, proving all the bad things that this group has
posted about him and proving just how unethical he is.

You should avoid following any advice from impersonation based posts.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Try it again: This time close the window while holding down the CTRL key.
If no joy, try closing it via File | Close.

NB: One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
applications may be disallowing the desired change from "sticking." These
include anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea
Timer, SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, WinPatrol,
etc), anti-virus applications & security suites (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32,
Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc.), and third-party firewalls (e.g., Zone Alarm,
etc.).

Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
Mode may not disable the application's "system protections.".

Humpty Dumpty

Thank you. We found it, you and me. I hadn't thought that it might be a
third party application.
It was AutoSizer.
I opened Task Manager and started closing one suspicious application after
the other until I found the culprit. It was very frustrating not to
understand what was happening. Now I am happy.
Thank you again,
Humpty
PS: It is not the first time you guys help me.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

YW & thanks for your feedback. Make sure you also post the resolution in
your related thread in IE General newsgroup, please.

Martin C

I have seen this response a number of times.

It is possible that the CTRL key works as well - I have not actually tested
it - but whenever I reset the size of window, I hold the SHIFT key instead.

i.e. Make sure that (in your case) Notepad is opened, resize the window as
required in the non maximised state, and then close it while holding down
the SHIFT key.

Hope this helps.

Martin

olfart

Martin C said:
I have seen this response a number of times.

It is possible that the CTRL key works as well - I have not actually
tested it - but whenever I reset the size of window, I hold the SHIFT key
instead.

i.e. Make sure that (in your case) Notepad is opened, resize the window as
required in the non maximised state, and then close it while holding down
the SHIFT key.

Hope this helps.

Martin
or...
google for Autosizer
been using it for years

Leythos

From: "Leythos" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 20:10:37 -0700
Abuse complaint filed with (e-mail address removed), headers included.