    hysteria Guest

    i was wondering if anyone knows of a way to change the opacity of windows
    with xp?

    hysteria, Feb 22, 2010

  2. hysteria wrote:
    > i was wondering if anyone knows of a way to change the opacity of
    > windows with xp?

    Maybe with third party applications. Not natively.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Feb 22, 2010

  3. hysteria

    Leonard Grey Guest

    ....and bear in mind that translucent windows suck up graphics resources.
    You'll need at least 256MB of memory on your graphics card and a fast
    clock. All for eye candy.

    I predict that translucent windows will be the first feature of Aero
    that Windows 7 users eventually turn off.
    ---
    Leonard Grey
    Errare humanum est

    Leonard Grey, Feb 22, 2010
  4. On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:38:23 -0500, Leonard Grey
    <> wrote:

    > ...and bear in mind that translucent windows suck up graphics resources.
    > You'll need at least 256MB of memory on your graphics card and a fast
    > clock. All for eye candy.
    >
    > I predict that translucent windows will be the first feature of Aero
    > that Windows 7 users eventually turn off.

    I've been a Windows 7 user for almost a year now, and I still have it
    on. Not that I think it's a wonderful feature, but I don't dislike it
    and I'm not unhappy with the performance on my machine.

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Feb 22, 2010
  5. hysteria

    Tim Meddick Guest

    As Mr Shenan Stanley says; not natively, in WinXP, but it *is* possible to change the
    opacity of any window, to any level of opacity, by downloading the very small, very
    powerful, free utility - NIRCMD.EXE

    Amongst many of it's varied functions is the ability to set the level of opacity of
    any window, thus :

    nircmd.exe win trans title "Calculator" 192

    ....this command, with the parameter "192", would set the opacity of Calculator to
    25% - total opacity of 100% would be "255" and you would use this parameter to bring
    the appearance back to normal. You can also use the parameter "0" to make the window
    "disappear" altogether!!

    Just download the zip-file by clicking on the link below - extract and copy :
    nircmd.exe to your "windows" or "system32" directory (or any dir that appears in
    your "path" variable). Then extract and read the help-file : nircmd.chm

    Download "nircmd.exe" from :
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.zip

    ==

    Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

    Tim Meddick, Feb 22, 2010
  6. hysteria

    Twayne Guest

    In news:,
    hysteria <> typed:
    > i was wondering if anyone knows of a way to change the opacity of
    > windows with xp?

    That depends on your video card mostly. My nVidia card lets me do it and
    it's quite handy when I want to see somethign in an underlying windows and a
    few other uses. The multiple desktops are pretty handy, too.
    If your video card can't do it then there are 3rd party apps already
    recommended that you could look at. No idea how good or bad they may be.

    HTH,

    Twayne

    Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
    through personal experience does not become a
    part of the moral tissue.

    Twayne, Feb 23, 2010