Win2k Server Login problem

Leong Seng

Hi,
I have a W2K server that was working fine until I did a
latest Windows update with the necessary patches. Now,
whenever I login as Administrator, it will show "loading
personal settings.." and after that, returns to the
CRTL+ALT+DEL screen (kind of automatically log me out).

What should I do now?

Thanx!

Michael Cole [MSFT]

Hello Leong Seng,

Have you tried booting the system to safe mode? I am wondering if you can
logon that way. This might enable you to roll back from your latest updates
and then see which patch is actually breaking your system login. Also, you
mention that you are unable to login as Administrator. Can you login with
another account?

Let's start there and then see if we can figure out what happened.
Do you know which patches wer installed last?
What OS and Service Pack are you running?

Hope this gets you started in the right direction.
Cheers,
--
Michael Cole
MCSE, MCSA

Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit. Thanks!

--------------------
../From: "Leong Seng" <[email protected]>
../Sender: "Leong Seng" <[email protected]>
../Subject: Win2k Server Login problem
../Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 01:10:55 -0800
../Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
../
../Hi,
../ I have a W2K server that was working fine until I did a
../latest Windows update with the necessary patches. Now,
../whenever I login as Administrator, it will show "loading
../personal settings.." and after that, returns to the
../CRTL+ALT+DEL screen (kind of automatically log me out).
../
../ What should I do now?
../
../Thanx!
../

Leong Seng

Hi Michael,
Thank you for the reply. I've tried booting into Safe
Mode and the same thing happens, managed to login as
Administrator and after loading the settings, it logs me
out again.
This has happened to me before and only thing I could
do was to re-install the entire OS again. This time
round, I even created another account that has
administrator rights and was able to login using that
account as well, but same thing, after loading the
personal settings, it logs me out again.

There was a whole bunch of patches that I installed
using the Windows Online Update, so it's probably the
latest. The OS is Windows 2000 Server SP4.

Any help from you is much appreciated !!!

Cheers,
Leong Seng