Win2k freezes intermittently

G

I'm running win2k pro. About 10 days ago my pc started freezing up. It would happen about 5-10 minutes after booting up. I could only shutdown the pc using the on/off switch on the back of the pc. I get no error messages

After several days of this, it has stopped booting up. Sometimes it will get all the way through the boot process, and other times it will hang up on the black w/white bar "loading windows" page, or the white windows w/blue bar page. When it did boot all the way, I would attempt virus scan, disk doctor, windoctor,or speed disk. I was never able to complete a virus scan or a defrag, because the system would freeze before completion.

I have

-used go back (This program has saved me several times, but after all previous dates available, it did not correct the
problem.
-used safe mode (After using safe mode several times with no problems, it started to freeze. Now I can't boot into saf
mode.
-used my win2k pro cd and repair disk (I tried booting/repairing, but nothing seems to work.

I would like to be able to save my os. I save all my data to a separate hard drive, but there are some programs that store
information where they want. I have had problems with turbotax. I also have some docs temporary saved to my desktop, etc

If someone has ideas for me to try and has the time to share them with me, I would be very greatful

Thanks
Lo

G

I appreciate your time. Thankyou. I will follow your advice. It sounds like a good plan.

G

If I find that the problem is hardware related, would the next thing to try be to reload the software for the device

Ask a Question