Win2000Pro is slower on the Internet than Win98se

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000' started by Buffalo, Sep 21, 2009.

  1. Buffalo

    Buffalo Guest

    I run a dual boot system with one HDD. 2000pro-98se

    I posted in early Sept about this problem, but did not get a reply.

    There is quite a difference in Internet connection speed.(Comcast)
    Normally dl speed is around 2.5 Mbps compared to around 8-10Mbps with SE and
    the other two computers when using numion.com.
    Shows higher when testing with speedtest.net or speedtest.comcast.net due to
    Comcast PowerBoost.

    Upload speed is basically the same on all systems (around 2.6Mbps)

    Surfspeed (according to numion.com) is also vastly different.
    Well over 1Mbps for all the others while only around 250000bps on my
    Win2000Pro System.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Buffalo
    PS: Running an AMD Athlon Mobile cpu at around 2+GHz with 1GB of ram.

    Buffalo, Sep 21, 2009

  2. Buffalo

    Dave Patrick Guest

    These might help.

    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/695
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=120642
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826159
    http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe.htm

    --

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Sep 21, 2009

  3. Buffalo

    Buffalo Guest

    Buffalo, Sep 21, 2009
  4. Buffalo

    Dave Patrick Guest

    "Buffalo" wrote:
    > I really couldn't get enough out of them.
    > Don't understand what they were trying to say

    *** You might be better off getting someone to help you. You can't make
    these changes without a full understanding. You can also try some of the
    automated tools out there but be sure your backups are current.

    and some of them were for
    > XP,2000Server, etc.

    *** Makes no difference.

    Dave Patrick, Sep 21, 2009
  5. Buffalo

    Buffalo Guest

    Dave Patrick wrote:
    > "Buffalo" wrote:
    >> I really couldn't get enough out of them.
    >> Don't understand what they were trying to say

    > *** You might be better off getting someone to help you. You can't
    > make these changes without a full understanding. You can also try
    > some of the automated tools out there but be sure your backups are
    > current.
    >

    > and some of them were for
    >> XP,2000Server, etc.

    > *** Makes no difference.

    Just different Registry keys.
    How do I check to see what the MRU really is?
    I tried the Ping in Dos and an MRU of 1472 worked just fine.
    It still amazes me that Win2000Pro is running way slower on the Internet
    than my Win98SE when both OS's are on the same HDD,the same machine (dual
    boot) and with the same PCI Internet Adapter.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Sep 21, 2009
  6. Buffalo

    Dave Patrick Guest

    You might try here.

    http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks/MTU

    Dave Patrick, Sep 21, 2009
  7. Buffalo

    Buffalo Guest

    Dave Patrick wrote:
    > You might try here.
    >
    > http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks/MTU
    >

    > "Buffalo" wrote:
    >> Just different Registry keys.
    >> How do I check to see what the MRU really is?
    >> I tried the Ping in Dos and an MRU of 1472 worked just fine.
    >> It still amazes me that Win2000Pro is running way slower on the
    >> Internet than my Win98SE when both OS's are on the same HDD,the same
    >> machine (dual boot) and with the same PCI Internet Adapter.
    >> Buffalo

    Dave,
    Thanks alot for that link.
    I forgot all about using the GUI program called DrTCP.
    I found that my RWIN setting was 17520.
    My MSS Requested was 1460, which is correct when using a MTU of 1500.

    They recommended I set RWIN to a value between 75920 and 200020. (mine
    was set to only 17520)
    I set the RWIN to 100020 and the MTU to 1500, (the only two values I
    entered in DrTCP).
    The result was quite amazing while doing a speedtest on Numion.com.
    I went from 2-3Mbps to 18-20Mbps (I think that was Comcast PowerBoost).
    I will do more testing with different values to see what happens.
    Very happy with your suggestions.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Sep 22, 2009
  8. Buffalo

    Buffalo Guest

    Buffalo wrote:
    > Dave,
    > Thanks alot for that link.
    > I forgot all about using the GUI program called DrTCP.
    > I found that my RWIN setting was 17520.
    > My MSS Requested was 1460, which is correct when using a MTU of 1500.
    >
    > They recommended I set RWIN to a value between 75920 and 200020.
    > (mine was set to only 17520)
    > I set the RWIN to 100020 and the MTU to 1500, (the only two values I
    > entered in DrTCP).
    > The result was quite amazing while doing a speedtest on Numion.com.
    > I went from 2-3Mbps to 18-20Mbps (I think that was Comcast
    > PowerBoost). I will do more testing with different values to see what
    > happens.
    > Very happy with your suggestions.
    > Buffalo

    I just changed the RWIN to 101640 from 100020 so that 4620 could be divided
    into it.
    I tried higher values, but overall, this one seems to be working more
    consistently.
    I may experiment more later, but I am very happy with the new results.
    Thanks again,
    Buffalo
    PS: I may even try lower values, starting at 75920, if I have time.
    I have to reboot each time I change the value, I believe.

    Buffalo, Sep 22, 2009
  9. Buffalo

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Glad to hear it works.