Windows XP WIN2000 Won't Boot

Reaction score
I was in the midst of doing some work on my papers for school when my room-mate decided to switch off the main electrical box. I get this error when trying to boot up now.

stop 0000218(registry file failure)the registry cannot
load the hive file system\root\system32\config\software
or its log or alternate is corrupt, absent, or not
writeable.

I get the Windows 2000 professional prompt, and just as it finishes loading, the error pops up.

My main poblem is I have no idea how to access any of the util, aside from F8. None of those options can get by the error, and it prompts me to skip a d346bus.sys file, which I think is the installed daemon tools. I skip it and it still doesn't load.

Any help is appreciated, especially how to get my WIN2000 cd to load, as it doesn't, and I have no idea how to get it to load.

Thanks,

Rob

Reaction score
looks like the power crash wiped your registry.
To boot your cd, you need to set the boot or startup order in bios on the pc.
To get in to bios, it can be hold del at power on, or f1 or f2, depends on the pc.
After that you need to look around in the various panels for startup, or boot order, usually set to floppy, hdd, cdrom and use whatever the change keys are for your bios (usually says on the side or bottom) to rotate the order to cdrom, hdd....
then save and put the w2k cd in the drive and boot it.
From there you will have to proceed carefully.
you can go to recovery console, and try a schandisk, but DONOT tell it to fix all without prompt. let it run, and if it seems to be hitting every file, exit out now before you lose everything. you can try a repair install, but wiht the software hive corrupted you may still lose all or many of your installed programs. you will definately loose all your service packs and fixes.

Before you do that, you may want to see if there are recent backups in youw winnt/repair folder of the registry. if they are very old, it would do more harm to restore them.
Good luck!

Ask a Question