WIN XP slow DNS discovery after reboot or LAN interruption

joes

joes Oct 30, 9:28 am show options
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
From: "joes" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
Date: 30 Oct 2005 06:28:54 -0800
Subject: XP slow to discover DNS server after reboot or LAN
interruption
original | Remove | Report Abuse

I have a network consisting of a Linux firewall machine, and a Windows
XP Professional laptop.

Every time I reboot the laptop, or momentarily disconnect the LAN
connector from it, I have to wait 40 seconds for the first DNS query.
For instance, if I do "ping yahoo.com" from the command line, it takes
40 seconds to resolve the address. During this time, if I do "ping
216.109.112.135" (which is yahoo's IP address) the pings are all
returned instantly. So I believe this is a DNS server discovery issue.

After the first DNS query completes, subsequent queries work fine with
no delays. But each time I reboot or disrupt the LAN connection I have
wait 40 seconds for the first DNS query. I discovered this also occurs
each time I do "ipconfig /flushdns".

My laptop TCPIP properties define the laptop IP address (no DHCP) and
two DNS server addreses. Both of those servers are fine. I tried
turning off NETBIOS but it made no difference.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? Why does it take so
long to discover the DNS server or resolve the name the first time?

Thanks.