win xp pro on server-? max # of users/workstations allowed

G

I am running win xp pro on our "server" on a peer to peer network with (total of 7 existing)6 win xp pro workstations & 1 win 98 workstation tagging into the data & programs on this server. I have set up a new/additional workstation(the 8th) running win 98 & everytime I try to connect to something on the server thru this machine, it locks up & causes problems on the rest of the network. Is there a maximum number of users/workstations that are allowed on a network such as this? I can't seem to find this answer anywhere!!! Does anyone know the answer to this or what other reason I would be encountering this problem???

C

Curt

I am running win xp pro on our "server" on a peer to peer network with (total of 7 existing)6 win xp pro workstations & 1 win 98 workstation tagging into the data & programs on this server. I have set up a new/additional workstation(the 8th) running win 98 & everytime I try to connect to something on the server thru this machine, it locks up & causes problems on the rest of the network. Is there a maximum number of users/workstations that are allowed on a network such as this? I can't seem to find this answer anywhere!!! Does anyone know the answer to this or what other reason I would be encountering this problem???

Although you use the term "server" your description indicates that you have
a peer-to-peer workgroup, which leads us to believe you do not have a
"server". Here are the limitations as far as concurrent sessions for
non-server operating systems:
XP Pro 10 concurrent sessions
Win2kPro 10 concurrent sessions
XP Home 5 concurrent sessions.

If you need more sessions you will need a server version of the OS, such as
win2kserver.

Please note that concurrent sessions may not equal connected computers. One
connected computer may have more than one active session at any one time.

HTH

Ask a Question