Win XP Home activation

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. The mobo died in an emachine
computer I'm working on. Replaced it with a non-emachine mobo, DDR RAM and a
video card that is much newer technology. Emachines wanted $180 for a
replacement, way too much for this 4 year old computer.

Windows booted but when it gets to the desktop (sorta, no icons) and gives a
message "This copy of windows must be activated with microsoft before you can
log on. Do you want to activate windows now?" A "yes" and "no" button are
provided but nothing happens if you push either one.

How, pray tell am I to activate this install of XP under these circumstances?
Thanx in advance for any help

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

That may not be possible with a non Emachines motherboard.
Many OEMs and I think Emachines is one, lock the recovery CDs to the
motherboard and will not install on a motherboard of a different
manufacturer.

If a Repair Installation does not work, buy an Emachines motherboard
or buy Windows XP.
Repair Installation:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"6 String bassplayer" <6 String (e-mail address removed)>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Alex Nichol

Jupiter said:
That may not be possible with a non Emachines motherboard.
Many OEMs and I think Emachines is one, lock the recovery CDs to the
motherboard and will not install on a motherboard of a different
manufacturer.

It evidently *did* install, the question is of activation. At the
technical level, if the BIOS lock is not satisfied at boot, the system
enters regular activation mode. But when it finds an OEM Product ID in
the 'signature' sent in, they may well now have set the autoactivation
mechanism to reject it, and you would have to convince the operator on a
manual call. The question of what is the point at which it becomes a
different machine, and so not acceptable for an OEM license has never
been clarified; a change of motherboard only might or might not be
accepted