Windows 7 Win 7 Virtual PC

Reaction score
I'm about to upgrade to Win7 from WinXP-Pro/SP3, but would like to keep using my quite functional scanner, for which there is no Win7 driver. The scanner is not detected if the driver is installed in WinXP-compatibility mode. In my Web searches, I have come across the claim that an 'old' scanner was made to work from the WinXP driver, when Virtual PC was used. I understand that Virtual PC requires the complete installation of WinXP, but in some special way. Since the PC in which Win7 will run, already has a fully functional WinXP, I was wondering if there was any way I could insert that highly customized WinXP, rather than start with a 'fresh' install.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
You probably want something like this.

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/xp-win7-t4039551.html

I understand he got it working quite well.

Edit: I probably should add something that is not in the thread. You probably want to install a program like Daemon Tools or something so that you can run .iso's as if they were locally installed physical drives. This will help when you can't get to the internet via the virtual machine. Download it on the functional unit and transfer via mounted drive.

Last edited:

Ask a Question