    Thanks,
    Lee G.

    , Aug 5, 2005

  2. Lee

    System Restore will not do that.. repost in the
    public.inetexplorer.ie6.oultlookexpress, and outlook newsgroups.. e-mail
    recovery is a little specialized..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\), Aug 5, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > I lost some important email (I think outlook .bmx) files. Would (with
    > System Restore) going back to a restore point bring those files back?

    Actually, Outlook stores emails in its *.pst file. And no, System
    Restore can do nothing to recover lost portions of a data file.

    > The trouble happened during a time when a dialog window kept coming up
    > asking to compact email - now the files are gone w/out a trace... is
    > there a way to disable that dialog from ever coming up again?

    The dialog box didn't cause the problem; it was warning you that you
    were leaving yourself vulnerable to data loss. Either develop the habit
    of performing regular maintenance on your Outlook data files to keep
    them from growing too large and fragmented, or resign yourself to
    occasionally losing important information.

    > Using XP
    > sp2.

    Largely irrelevant to an Outlook issue.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Aug 5, 2005
  4. "Bruce Chambers" <3t> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Two questions:
    >>
    >> I lost some important email (I think outlook .bmx) files. Would (with
    >> System Restore) going back to a restore point bring those files back?
    >>

    > Actually, Outlook stores emails in its *.pst file. And no, System
    > Restore can do nothing to recover lost portions of a data file.
    >

    >> The trouble happened during a time when a dialog window kept coming
    >> up asking to compact email - now the files are gone w/out a trace...
    >> is there a way to disable that dialog from ever coming up again?

    > The dialog box didn't cause the problem; it was warning you that you
    > were leaving yourself vulnerable to data loss. Either develop the
    > habit of performing regular maintenance on your Outlook data files to
    > keep them from growing too large and fragmented, or resign yourself to
    > occasionally losing important information.
    >

    >> Using XP
    >> sp2.
    >>

    > Largely irrelevant to an Outlook issue.

    I may be missing something, but how did you know he was using Outlook?

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, Aug 5, 2005
  5. In news:,
    Bruce Chambers <3t> typed:
    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Two questions:
    >>
    >> I lost some important email (I think outlook .bmx) files. Would (with
    >> System Restore) going back to a restore point bring those files back?
    >>

    > Actually, Outlook stores emails in its *.pst file.

    Yes....but a) I suspect..bmx = .dbx, which means OE, not Outlook...b) OE
    will prompt you to compact, and Outlook won't.....

    OE newsgroups here:

    A good website for information on OE is:
    http://www.insideoe.com/

    <snip>

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Aug 5, 2005
  6. On this date, Bruce Chambers extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...

    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Two questions:
    >>
    >> I lost some important email (I think outlook .bmx) files.
    >> Would (with System Restore) going back to a restore point
    >> bring those files back?
    >>

    > Actually, Outlook stores emails in its *.pst file.
    > And no, System
    > Restore can do nothing to recover lost portions of a data
    > file.

    why wouldn't restoring to a date prior to the loss of data
    /not/ bring it back, so long as that drive's data was being
    monitored by the system restore function?

    >> The trouble happened during a time when a dialog window
    >> kept coming up asking to compact email - now the files are
    >> gone w/out a trace... is there a way to disable that
    >> dialog from ever coming up again?

    > The dialog box didn't cause the problem; it was
    > warning you that you
    > were leaving yourself vulnerable to data loss. Either
    > develop the habit of performing regular maintenance on your
    > Outlook data files to keep them from growing too large and
    > fragmented, or resign yourself to occasionally losing
    > important information.
    >

    >> Using XP
    >> sp2.
    >>

    > Largely irrelevant to an Outlook issue.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Aug 5, 2005
  7. PA Bear Guest

    No.

    Why it happens:
    http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

    Recovering your data:
    http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    folders created for this purpose.

    Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

    Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
    compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

    If WinXP SP2, don't try to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown while
    Automatic Compacting is taking place.

    Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
    corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.

    --
    OE6-specific newsgroup:
    OE General newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

    Inside Outlook Express
    http://www.insideoe.com

    PA Bear, Aug 5, 2005