Why USB device is repeatedly disconnecting & reconnecting?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by VanguardLH, Nov 13, 2008.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    I have a USB device that repeatedly disconnecting and connecting (i.e.,
    stopping and restarting). This happens at random times throughout the
    day and every day. I will hear the beep-boop disconnect sound notifying
    me that the PnP device was stopped (disconnected). A couple seconds
    later is the boop-beep connect sound telling me the PnP device was
    started (connected). Due to the reconnect, auto-play kicks off the
    autorun.exe on the emulated CD device. If I'm not at the computer to
    heep the PnP sound events, or if I have the speakers muted, I won't know
    about the start-stop bouncing of the USB device.

    So I need advice on how to monitor or track down what might be causing a
    USB device to get stopped and then restarted. There is nothing in the
    Event Viewer to indicate a problem at the time the USB device gets
    bounced. The PnP monitor ("Safely Remove Hardware") icon is in the
    system tray when the USB device is started. I can use the tray icon to
    see the monitored USB devices (or run "rundll32.exe
    shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll" if the tray icon is missing).
    But I need something to tell me why the USB device got disconnected in
    the first place (and then it gets detected again and reconnected). I'm
    trying to determine how to monitor what could be disconnecting the USB
    device.

    VanguardLH, Nov 13, 2008

  2. VanguardLH

    sgopus Guest

    are you connecting to a USB hug, with it's own power supply?

    power flucuations could be causing this if you don't have adquate power to
    the USB device.

    sgopus, Nov 13, 2008

  3. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    sgopus wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a USB device that repeatedly disconnecting and connecting (i.e.,
    >> stopping and restarting). This happens at random times throughout the
    >> day and every day. I will hear the beep-boop disconnect sound notifying
    >> me that the PnP device was stopped (disconnected). A couple seconds
    >> later is the boop-beep connect sound telling me the PnP device was
    >> started (connected). Due to the reconnect, auto-play kicks off the
    >> autorun.exe on the emulated CD device. If I'm not at the computer to
    >> heep the PnP sound events, or if I have the speakers muted, I won't know
    >> about the start-stop bouncing of the USB device.
    >>
    >> So I need advice on how to monitor or track down what might be causing a
    >> USB device to get stopped and then restarted. There is nothing in the
    >> Event Viewer to indicate a problem at the time the USB device gets
    >> bounced. The PnP monitor ("Safely Remove Hardware") icon is in the
    >> system tray when the USB device is started. I can use the tray icon to
    >> see the monitored USB devices (or run "rundll32.exe
    >> shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll" if the tray icon is missing).
    >> But I need something to tell me why the USB device got disconnected in
    >> the first place (and then it gets detected again and reconnected). I'm
    >> trying to determine how to monitor what could be disconnecting the USB
    >> device.
    >>

    > are you connecting to a USB hug, with it's own power supply?
    >
    > power flucuations could be causing this if you don't have adquate power to
    > the USB device.

    Nope, plugging into a USB port on the system case (so it comes directly
    from the USB controller on the motherboard).

    USB ports come in pairs because the USB controller can manage 2
    channels; however, the other USB port is not used so the 500mA available
    for total load from the controller is available to the single USB device
    (which is has the problem). So it is not a problem of 2 USB devices
    sucking more power from the paired USB port set than the controller can
    deliver.

    There are 6 USB ports on this host (i.e., 3 sets of paired ports) and
    moving the device to each of the 3 USB sets of ports does not eliminate
    the problem. In each port where this problematic USB device keeps
    getting erratically disconnected and reconnected, other USB devices
    don't experience this behavior. My USB printer doesn't disappear and
    reappear, nor does my USB thumb drive.

    It is known there are conflicts with this USB device and other software.
    One of the conflictors is Nero which goes out polling the removable
    devices. This polling causes a problem in this USB device (that creates
    2 virtual USB drives where one is an emulated CD device and the other is
    a mass storage device, like is a thumb drive). When Nero touches these
    virtual drives for the USB device, it locks up for a long time,
    eventually the USB device gets disconnected and reconnected (I can hear
    the PnP sound events), its autorun.exe starts again (due to auto-play in
    Windows), and suddenly Nero unfreezes to display its UI. There is no
    option in Nero to prevent it from touching the virtual drives for this
    USB device. As a result, I downloaded devcon from Microsoft which is a
    command-line version of Device Manager which can let me execute commands
    to disable (not disconnect but just stop) the USB device before I start
    using Nero and then enable the USB device after I exit Nero. Because of
    this conflict and because it results in the disconnect-reconnect cycling
    of the USB device, I'm wondering if something else running on my host is
    causing a similar conflict. However, the occurrences of the disconnect-
    reconnect cycling is random and might be several times per day to a day
    apart and I can't afford to be running for days in, say, Windows safe
    mode without my usual software configuration which interferes with my
    use of my host.

    So I'm trying to find out if something can monitor when this USB device
    gets disconnected and what caused it.

    VanguardLH, Nov 13, 2008
  4. VanguardLH

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > sgopus wrote:
    >
    >> "VanguardLH" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a USB device that repeatedly disconnecting and connecting (i.e.,
    >>> stopping and restarting). This happens at random times throughout the
    >>> day and every day. I will hear the beep-boop disconnect sound notifying
    >>> me that the PnP device was stopped (disconnected). A couple seconds
    >>> later is the boop-beep connect sound telling me the PnP device was
    >>> started (connected). Due to the reconnect, auto-play kicks off the
    >>> autorun.exe on the emulated CD device. If I'm not at the computer to
    >>> heep the PnP sound events, or if I have the speakers muted, I won't know
    >>> about the start-stop bouncing of the USB device.
    >>>
    >>> So I need advice on how to monitor or track down what might be causing a
    >>> USB device to get stopped and then restarted. There is nothing in the
    >>> Event Viewer to indicate a problem at the time the USB device gets
    >>> bounced. The PnP monitor ("Safely Remove Hardware") icon is in the
    >>> system tray when the USB device is started. I can use the tray icon to
    >>> see the monitored USB devices (or run "rundll32.exe
    >>> shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll" if the tray icon is missing).
    >>> But I need something to tell me why the USB device got disconnected in
    >>> the first place (and then it gets detected again and reconnected). I'm
    >>> trying to determine how to monitor what could be disconnecting the USB
    >>> device.
    >>>

    >> are you connecting to a USB hug, with it's own power supply?
    >>
    >> power flucuations could be causing this if you don't have adquate power
    >> the USB device.
    >>

    > Nope, plugging into a USB port on the system case (so it comes directly
    > from the USB controller on the motherboard).
    >
    > USB ports come in pairs because the USB controller can manage 2
    > channels; however, the other USB port is not used so the 500mA available
    > for total load from the controller is available to the single USB device
    > (which is has the problem). So it is not a problem of 2 USB devices
    > sucking more power from the paired USB port set than the controller can
    > deliver.

    Despite that fact that the ports are paired on the OHCI root hubs, the full
    500mA will be available from both ports on the root hub. Similarly, 500mA
    will be available from all 6 ports on the single EHCI root hub.

    > There are 6 USB ports on this host (i.e., 3 sets of paired ports) and
    > moving the device to each of the 3 USB sets of ports does not eliminate
    > the problem. In each port where this problematic USB device keeps
    > getting erratically disconnected and reconnected, other USB devices
    > don't experience this behavior. My USB printer doesn't disappear and
    > reappear, nor does my USB thumb drive.

    It may have helped us to help you had you divulged what this mystery device
    is. Without knowing what it is, any response you get here will be, at best,
    a wild guess.

    M.I.5¾, Nov 13, 2008