Windows XP Why so many user names?

Reaction score
Hi all, from a new member ...

It's New Year so I've been doing a bit of housekeeping - deleting stuff, uninstalling all those trials and demos, etc etc. In the course of doing this I looked in Programs | Accessories | System tools | System Information | Software | Startup to see what goes on when I startup. The list of programs didn't surprise me - desktop, anti-virus (Grisoft AVG), CTFMON.EXE, all the usual suspects (and no nasty surprises).

However what puzzles me is that there are five instances of CTFMON running, four instances of AVG7_Run, four instances of desktop, etc. Each instance is owned by a different user name. The user names are:

.DEFAULT
All users
NT AUTHORITY/LOCAL SERVICE
NT AUTHORITY/NETWORK SERVICE
NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM

plus my account name: MYCOMPUTER/MYNAME

So two questions:

1) What are all these users? They don't show up in the list of user accounts (except the last one, obviously). What do they do? Do I need them? If not, how can I get rid?

2) Why do I seem to have multiple instances of programs starting up (but not showing up in Task Manager). Does it affect performance in any way?

Set-up:

Windows XP Home SP2. I'm running a LAN from a 4-port modem/router with my desktop, my partner's dektop and (occasionally) a laptop. File sharing is enabled for selected folders on all machines.

Many thanks for any comments/explanations/suggestions.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Those other usernames are system usernames used for permissions normally - I'm not sure why AVG uses so many, though someone else might. "All users" is a username that controls permissions for all users, etc... they are quite often used to let applications run as a service no matter who is logged on.

Ask a Question