Why do my formulas sometimes use "Extract" instead of the actual CellReference?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Discussion' started by Matt.Russett, Nov 4, 2008.

  1. Matt.Russett

    Matt.Russett Guest

    This happens to me time to time and I have no idea why. It's really
    starting to tick me off!!

    of example I am trying to do a SUMIF.

    I Type =SUMIF(

    I click Columns A and B... Formula now shows =SUMIF(A:B,

    I then Click my criteria which is in C1... the formula does this
    =SUMIF(A:B,Extract...

    Why Extract? Why not C1? I have to type in C1 manually if I want to
    fill the formula down...

    I have googled it every way I can think of and found nothing.

    Any help is really appreciated!

    Thanks

    Matt.Russett, Nov 4, 2008

  2. Matt.Russett

    Harald Staff Guest

    Re: Why do my formulas sometimes use "Extract" instead of the actual Cell Reference?

    My guess is that the C1 cell is named Extract.

    HTH. Best wishes Harald

    Harald Staff, Nov 4, 2008

  3. Matt.Russett

    Matt.Russett Guest

    Re: Why do my formulas sometimes use "Extract" instead of the actualCell Reference?

    Brand new sheet, no names

    Matt.Russett, Nov 4, 2008
  4. Re: Why do my formulas sometimes use "Extract" instead of the actualCell Reference?

    Excel creates names when it needs them.

    If you use data|filter|advanced filter (xl2003 menus), excel can create names
    without your permission or knowledge.

    If you use a criteria range, you'll have a range named Criteria.
    If you use "copy to a new location", you'll have a range named Extract.

    So if this is a brand new worksheet where you haven't used data|filter|advanced
    filter, then maybe you're using a template worksheet (sheet.xlt*--located in
    your XLStart folder) that already has these names.

    If that's the case, open that template worksheet and delete the names. Then
    save the template file and test it again.

    --

    Dave Peterson

    Dave Peterson, Nov 4, 2008
  5. Matt.Russett

    Harald Staff Guest

    Re: Why do my formulas sometimes use "Extract" instead of the actual Cell Reference?

    Yeah, listen to Dave. Did you look for names, or just assume they couldn't
    be there ?

    Best wishes Harald

    Harald Staff, Nov 4, 2008