Why do inkjet cartridges have those sponges?

Reaction score
I got here for doing the same Research. and I believe this thread deserve an update coz I really find this thread helpful.

first of all let me first throw away these videos I found while documenting my research on my Notion App.

This Video shows the difference between S, Normal, XL cartridge inside.

and this video shows how to make it sponge less

------

I believe doing it sponge less is the best go to method if you are planning to convert your Stupidly cheapest printer into some kind of slightly printing monster. (printing like more than 500 pages a day but not more than 1000 pages, better invest on ink tank if that is the case).

but if you are just using it for private home usage. the sponge would just be fine.
I really believe the sponge was there to prevent some disaster from happening.
Ink is liquid.. and just like any liquid it will soon penetrate the weakest part of the wall (cracks) in no time.. in this case. the thin line between the cartridge and its top cover. (it doesn't matter if you sealed it.. the every time the cartridge move left and right.. the movement of those liquid will eventually win)

if that happen.. the ink will leak inside the printer.

-----

for the question about the sponge. of what type of sponge is inside those cartridge.
I believe (not certainly) it is the Magic Sponge (Melamine) Foam.
it is a high quality Japanese house hold sponge. that can hold so much liquid in it.
and it is also easily washed with water.

The reason why I think they are the same is because the melamine foam is hard and thick compare other foam.

Ask a Question