Why can't I access the footer?

R

Renee

I have a standard footer in place on my worksheet and I want to customize it.
I can't click on the footer, nothing happens (including that I can't see the
"footer" id. If I try to select footer, it's grayer out but clearly I have a
footer. Help!

L

Luke M

Unlike Word, you can't click on the footer to edit it.

Go to File- Page Setup, Header/Footer.
Change your footer using this dialogue.

B

Bob I

You may "Edit" the header an footer in Page setup in Excel. Word allows
you to do what you are attempting.

R

Renee

I'm sorry, I should have specified that I'm using excel2007. This isn't an
option there. I've tried to access the footer dialog and it's grayed out.

I'm able to insert one of the standard footers but not make any
modifications to it.

B

Bob I

Click Custom Footer.
I'm sorry, I should have specified that I'm using excel2007. This isn't an
option there. I've tried to access the footer dialog and it's grayed out.

I'm able to insert one of the standard footers but not make any
modifications to it.

:

R

Renee

It's not allowing me to see the edit box that normally happens. I can edit
the header but not the footer.

M

Marc Wood

I had the same problem. After poking around I found two ways to edit the footer.

1. Go to Page Layout tab. Under Gridlines and Headings, click the little arrow in the Sheet Options box. This will open the Page Setup dialong box. Click Header/Footer tab and then click Custom Footer. This will allow editing of both the header and footer.

2. Click the "Office Button" and point cursor at Print, then choose Print Preview. Click on the Page Setup icon to bring up the Page Setup dialog box and click on Header/Footer, etc.

K

keith.wm.fairchild

Mark Wood has the answer. How you found this amazes me. The standard approach (Insert - Header & Footer) works fine on a separate graph worksheet, but you must use the Page Layout - Gridline arrow to get to the same dialog box. Someone needs to notify the coders at Microsoft. Mil gracias, Mark.

Reaction score
Mark Wood has the answer. How you found this amazes me. The standard approach (Insert - Header & Footer) works fine on a separate graph worksheet, but you must use the Page Layout - Gridline arrow to get to the same dialog box. Someone needs to notify the coders at Microsoft. Mil gracias, Mark.
A thousand thanks Mark Wood. I had the same problem and after much searching online, this is the only solution I have been able to find. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Reaction score
Thank you, Marc Wood, for taking the time in 2011 to share your knowledge on the question, 'Why can't I access the footer?". Your generosity helped me, too. I'm happy now to be a "pay it forward" minion when chance arises.

Ask a Question