Why ASUS BIOS can't detect my HD ?

goolu

Hi,

I have one ASUS P2L97 motherboard installed with 266MHz PII CPU. When
I tried to boot it up with one HD with Windows 2000 installed. I got
below message :

Award Modular BIOS v.4.51PG

ASUS P2L97 ACPI BIOS Revision 1001
Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension v1.0A

Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) On Board

Detecting HDD Primary Master ... [Press F4 to skip]

Boot sequence halted here. However, I can boot from that HD when it
was attached to another Magic Pro PC.

To verify the problem wasn't caused by IDE cable, I swapped the
original IDE cable with that connecting secondary IDE channel (where
CD-RW being connected). The IDE cable is working because BIOS can
detect CD-RW with it. Still booting halted at above message.

I want to ask why my motherboard can't detect the HD ? Any further
testing can be conducted to find out problem source ?

JAD

what size is the HD and why would you think that a HD with an OS
installed from another machine, with drivers from an entirely
different MB, is going to load and work?

John Doe

What does the operating system or drivers have to do with hard disk
drive detection in the BIOS?

From: "JAD" <kapasitor @earthcharter.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,it.comp.hardware.motherboard,alt.comp
..hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Why ASUS BIOS can't detect my HD ?
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 08:55:13 -0800
it.comp.hardware.motherboard:170977 alt.comp.hardware:266023
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:425882

JAD

john read the whole post

what size is the HD

From: "JAD" <kapasitor @earthcharter.net>
Newsgroups:
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,it.comp.hardware.motherboard,alt.comp
.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 08:55:13 -0800

The said:
Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) On Board
Detecting HDD Primary Master ... [Press F4 to skip]
Boot sequence halted here. However, I can boot from that HD when
it

What does that BIOS stuff have to do with his operating system?

William W. Plummer

goolu said:
[...]

Check that the hard disk is configured to be "Master" if it is the only
one on the system. "Cable Select" may work and will permit you to move
it easily to your other system. Also, is the power OK? Can you boot
from a floppy disk with, say, MS-DOS on on it?

Andy

Try updating the BIOS:
<http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P2L97&Type=Latest>
FileName lx2i1009.zip Version 1009 Date 1999/11/05
Description P2L97 BIOS 1009
Fix Microsoft Pre-OS test failure.
Support IDE hard disk larger than 32G bytes.
Fix Russian Y2K test program failed.
Revise Y2K patch.
Fix boot failure with some boot managers installed.
Update Symbios BIOS to Rev 4.12.
No system node report for LPT when it is Setup disabled. (LPT disable
in Windows when it is Setup disabled)
Upgrade microcode update for Celeron mA0 stepping (CPUID=660) to
revision 0A.
Microcode update upgrade for PII 653, 672, and 673. 653: 00A->010;
672: 00B->00C; 673: 007->00A.
Fix serial port failure running Windows 2000.
Add keyboard wakeup item with three choices of key combinations.
Fix FDD Write Protect function failed with (format a: /u) command.

Rene

John Doe said:
The said:
Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) On Board
Detecting HDD Primary Master ... [Press F4 to skip]
Boot sequence halted here. However, I can boot from that HD when
it

What does that BIOS stuff have to do with his operating system?

Nothing.

Rene

JAD

going out on a limb here, and going to make the accusation that you by
your address recording 'header posting' and the increase in my spam
since you started that, you are a spammer and a troll.

PLONK!!!!!!!!!!!

Nickeldome

William W. Plummer said:
goolu said:
[...]

If it's a WD drive put to single or don't jumper at all.

Shiva

I experienced the same symptoms after putting a new large drive in my PC
(see thread 'Harddisk not detected'). Turned out to be a bios limitation. An
bios upgrade solved this problem.
Check the website of the manufacturer of your mobo to see if your mobo can
handle your harddrive.

Shiva

Trolls better go to this newsgroup:

alt.os.windows-xp

It is one of the most crappy newsgroups around..

John Doe said:
Troll.

newssvr11.news.prodigy.com!newscon03.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01a.news.prodig
y.com!prodigy.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news.glorb
..com!bigfeed.bellsouth.net!news.bellsouth.net!hwmnpeer01.lga!hwmedia!hw-post
er!fe06.lga.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,it.comp.hardware.motherboard,alt.comp.hardwa
re,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt dkoicekneficefklaippldbjlcphcdjppomijoibidbdnebffcccdnnagloelenekhakojhfocbf
dbhkgjiecganjgiblmifjhaomkfgmpmnkldofnhkkoaiblkpjjblegcmjhhibopfakdb
it.comp.hardware.motherboard:171035 alt.comp.hardware:266136
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:425967

Sam

[...]

I've had this same problem. It turned out that some brands of hard drives
have two jumper settings for Master. One is for when there's another hard
drive as slave, and the other is for when it's the only drive in the
system. I found that it makes a huge difference to get this jumper set
correctly.

Sam