Which version of Windows XP can use Remote Desktop Connection?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Work Remotely' started by Egan, Jun 14, 2009.

  1. Egan

    Egan Guest

    Dear Gentlemen:

    I have Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 and I have Remote Desktop
    Connection software installed but I can not enable Remote Desktop except I
    have Remote Assistance enabled.

    What versions of Windows XP can remotely take control of other older
    versions of Windows?

    Where can I get Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 as retail
    version box?

    Much help Appreciated.

    Thanks

    Egan

    Egan, Jun 14, 2009

  2. Egan wrote:
    > Dear Gentlemen:
    >
    > I have Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 and I have
    > Remote Desktop Connection software installed but I can not enable
    > Remote Desktop except I have Remote Assistance enabled.
    >
    > What versions of Windows XP can remotely take control of other older
    > versions of Windows?
    >
    > Where can I get Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 as
    > retail version box?

    Windows XP Home Edition does not have the Remote Desktop capability. It can
    use the Remote Desktop Client to connect to those with the remote desktop
    capability, however. Just about any version of Windows past 98SE have a
    version of the remote desktop client - Macintoshes as well. It's the HOST
    that is limited to the 'professional' and 'server' versions and supersets.

    However - if you are just looking for the functionality of Remote Desktop
    for personal use - I suggest TeamViewer or some flavor of VNC (UltraVNC
    comes to mind.)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP