Which graphics card ?!

Reaction score
Heya soz again. But i have read now many reviews on different graphics card. And now i am all confused about which one to get for my price range !?

Can anyone help me ?!

My price range is around 100-130 pounds

I have looked at this one which seems ok : http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=47511

My system is :
3.0GHz Intel pentium 4 + Hyper threading technology
160GB Ultra DMA hard drive (7200rpm)
512MB 400MHz DDR SDRAM
nVidia Geforce FX5500 3D AGP 256MB DDR

Thanx

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i would go for a 9800Pro you could probably get it for less if you wait abit and shop around

Reaction score
Thanx guys. I will deffo look into that one, coz that one has popped up aswell lol

HAPPY NEW YEAR !

Hopefully start it soon, with that card, and 512MB more memory !!!! lol

Have a gr8 start and rest of year guys :)

Thanx

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey i wouldn't go for a 9800 pro, if your looking at sticking another 512mb ram in your system to take it up to a gig and you have a pentium 4 3.0ghz, i would definitely go for something like a 6600gt for 20 quid more, you can now get an agp model as well so will slot straight into your machine a treat and kicks some serious ass.

Pc world are selling it at £143.......Runs Doom with all the eye candy turned on and any other game you care to mention.....superb.....go on treat yourself you know you want to....

http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/invt/bg66600gabf12ypbg

The 9800pro doesn't get a look in.................. the 6600gt owns it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok m8 thanx :)

But if my mum is tight... lol is there another option for a bit cheaper ? 100 pounds + maybe ?

Thanx for all your help

I might wait for prices to drop aswell though, so i might still get that 6600 GT

Reaction score
i would not suggest going with the 9800, even if it is pro. All ati cards run at 24-bit floating point precision instead of nvidia's 32 bit (on most things, 28 on the others that they havent developed a fix in the drivers for yet). hand in hand, nvidia preforms better on games, even with ati's high clock speeds. Go with the 6XXX line, whethere you decide to go with the 6600 or the 6800... i suggest 6800 if you can afford but if not, the 6600 with a gig of ram you've been working on getting will run all you need it to for now. read one of my other replies on a diff post you made on gfx cards for a review on pci-e. which for the 6600 is about half the price since they dont need to spend the money on the memory bandwidth like they do on the agp side. if your wanting to switch over, now would be a good time. if not. spend the money on agp. oh and i wouldnt go with that one gainward 6600 you mentioned unless your using a dvi moniter. why pay for it if your not using it.

Reaction score
Thanx all all that info Moco

One question : What's a DVI moniter ?! And how much ?! lol How much is the cheapest one ?!

Money ain't really an object it is in some cases, but i could afford most things ;)

Thanx m8

Reaction score
Belloni, Dont worry about DVI, its the Digital Visual Interface which means the signal between the GFX and the VDU stay digital and don't need to be converted to analogue as they do with "Normal" monitors... You can pick up a DVI 17" TFT for i dunno... £230... You don't need one and your card will NOT perform any different without one!

Yes it has two DVI ports as opposed to one DSUB and one DVI but you get two adaptors included so you can use any combination of monitors... Your'e not paying any extra for it really - Gainward could have just as easily put any combination onto their card.

Ben: Quit worrying!
Moco: Quit scaring him! ;)

Reaction score
ha ha ! Thanx Chris ! lol

Phew ! I don't think i will spend 230 pounds on a moniter just yet ! (Maybe when building ma own ;) lol kk Well as long as it won't change the performance of my car alot, then i won't worry ! lol

Cheers m8 :) RAM comes tomoz ! Yay ! I hope i don't muck up, just putting them in ! lol

Do i have to go into BIOS on first installation to see wether it has recognised the RAM ?! And what if it hasn't ?! lol

Soz i always worry about stuff, when it's PRICY !!! ;)

Thanx

Reaction score
Your memory will be set to run at SPD (hardwares default settings)

What you do is this:

1. Take out old memory
2. Put in new memory

err... thats it. Then use computer as normal.

Reaction score
well yes it wont usually cost more, but she could go with a card that would better fit her needs, (i.e. faster core or mem clock speeds.) and the difference you would see by switching belloni by going to dvi is a much sharper picture. but unless you get a brand new (not cheap) crt moniter, then you only really see dvi's on LCD screens. but even still, ati are desktop cards, not gaming. while they can run the top games. nvidia does it better, specially for the price. hope this helps.

Reaction score
Umm... you want to change those she's to he's mate, Belloni is more commonly known as Ben...

Quick before he sees!

ATI are actually very good in the gaming market - the X800XT PE is the fastest card around, beating the 6800 Ultra in the benchmarks, not by much, at all, but they are better.

About the price? The most expensive X800XTPE i have seen is £381. I have seen 6800 Ultras costing in excess of £430... For a card that in alot of places is slower...

The DVI interface isn't that important in games, at all. LCD's are known to show something commonly known as motion blur... You cant have a sharp blurry image! Yes, DVI is VERY nice for desktop use but tbh Analogue TFT's are damn good too. I dont think i could even see a difference if i didnt know that one had DVI

Reaction score
sorry guess i should've gone more into it. while yes, the x800 pe is owning a$$, ati is using an optimized bi-linear/tri-linear. not true tri. since the x800 is fast enough to handle most things out right now. you'll notice the differnence on highest settings on current games and will be more apparent on games to be. its hard to judge out which is the better card as of now since both nvidia and ati are running optimizations so hard to get those extra fps that you take slight loss in quality.(optimizations can luckily be turned off threw the options though.) also the x800 is only pci-express while the 6800 ultra will come in agp, which is partially why its much more expensive.

Reaction score
I agree with Chris,

I have seen the X800 come in AGP & PCI-E

A mate wanted to buy an X800XTPE but then thought he didn't want to spend that much money on it,

Just wait till the price comes down me thinks :)

Chris,

Reaction score
... As does the 6800 Ultra...!!

A little research is in order before ranting on about something :):)

Reaction score
I have just seen what MOCO wrote ! 'She' !!! lol

Haha thanx m8 ! HOW DARE YOU ! *slaps* lol

Thanx for ya help :p

Eageraly awaiting GLH graphics card now, snce got new 1GB RAM today :) lol

Reaction score
lol, your going off like your right about something big. the x800 for U.S. wasnt avail till really recently. and i said the 6800 ult comes in agp and pci so how were you right there? why do you seem to be getting defensive?

Ask a Question