Which CPU IS faster?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The “naming” of a CPU @ 3000 (even Intel have adopted it) is primarily designed to tell you what to expect the speed is in the real world.

So … and here is the question … what is faster?

An AMD Sempron 3000, socket ‘A’
An AMD Athlon 3000, socket 754
or
An AMD Athlon 3000, socket 939

You can throw an Intel in there, if you like.

Class / Rating - Sempron 3000
Clock Speed - 2000 MHz
Front Side Bus - 333 MHz
Level 1 Cache - 128 KB
Level 2 Cache - 512 KB
Cache Type - Pipeline Burst

Class / Rating - Athlon 64 3000 (64-Bit/socket 939)
Clock Speed - 1800 MHz
Front Side Bus - 1600MHz Hyper Transport Link
Level 1 Cache - 128 KB
Level 2 Cache - 512 KB

Class / Rating - Pentium 4 530
Clock Speed - 3000MHz
Front Side Bus - 800MHz
Level 1 Cache - 16KB
Level 2 Cache - 1024KB

Confusing, isn’t it?

Tell me why you think one is really faster than another. What IS the TRUE speed of each CPU?

NOTE
Contructive answers only please ... any 'brand bashing' WILL result in your post being deleted.

Reaction score
very very tough question!

how about price comparisons? i mean they all appear to be around the same level so in this situation id go for the cheapest!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The processing speed of a 64 bit architecture in my opinion is faster plus the front side bus speed of 1600 Mhz for internal communication. I may be wrong, but not afraid to do a bit of guesswork here. My answer is based on the information available in your post and not a result of any "googling". Will anxiously wait for the final disclosure if at all the difference is there. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
psd99 said:
very very tough question!

how about price comparisons? i mean they all appear to be around the same level so in this situation id go for the cheapest!
Not quite the 'argument' I was looking for ... but good point. Forgetting about 'price' for now ... which, in your view, would prove to be the faster chip.

Quad, good guess, but are you right? ... you can 'Google' if you like, be aware for some controversy over opinions without proof though. ;)

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How are we measuring speed? Which CPU can perform a complex task the quickest, presumably.

I really haven't a clue, but I'd probably go for the Athlon 64.

As an aside, I've been reading really good reports about the Sempron 3100, seems it's an ideal Gaming chip and easily overclockable.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
The AMD 64 3000+ will be fasting in gaming, the Intel will be faster in multimedia things like changing mp3s to wmas etc, and the Sempron wont win in anything.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Mucks, allow me to gather some information from here and there and let me come back with my findings. Meanwhile do not disclose it if you already know it ( I know you know it ;) )

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Those results were quite surprising Reef, I was hoping the Athlon 64 would have pulled ahead a little more! Although it does make me feel a bit better about my P4 3.0Ghz :D

Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
The AMD 64 3000+ will be fasting in gaming, the Intel will be faster in multimedia things like changing mp3s to wmas etc, and the Sempron wont win in anything.

haha trust Mr. Reefy, but yes i agree with him, although i think the 64 with be the fastest overall, also the defined line between the intel and the 64 could be decided on the rest of the system if you really want to start a conference. But lets not.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Not quite the 'argument' I was looking for ... but good point. Forgetting about 'price' for now ... which, in your view, would prove to be the faster chip.

lol well thanks
but come on i think we would be here all nite.

id definetly settle for price in this case

but its like asking wats faster? A Porshe or a Ferrari?
its like the chicken and egg question!

ie rhetorichal = unanswerable questions if i spelt that correctly!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I am more confused after doing research than I was when I posted in this thread.

Some of the information I could gather from here and there is quoted here for a lively debate ;)

pentiums are best for multimedia and while AMDs tend to score a few FPS higher in game benchmarks
while there are 64 bit apps and software and OS' they are not directed toward the consumer market ... so odds are that anyone who uses a computer w/ windows XP is not going to have any use for a 64-bit chip as the software won't make use out of it .. not untill a 64-bit OS hits the consumer market
linux is a true 64 bit os depending on the version
I honestly did not know about this but if it is correct than I would certainly opt for a 64 bit system since I am using Linux a lot more than I used to before as I find it to be a very smooth running OS. Less likely to be affected by spywares, viruses last but not least being hijacked! :eek:

All the benchmark I am seeing show the Athlon FX rocking everything out there. Sure, a few apps started a hair faster, but it just was not close. Saw one in a recent mag where the 3500+ beat a Intel overclocked to 4.2. Imagine that! Reading any magazine or benchmarks online should confirm this. I am currently considering building one and I am a pretty Intel happy guys. Raw speed, AMD FX 3500+ or better.

Ask a Question