    question is how do I get the remaining 256 mb to function?

    Bios also shows 768. Acer's eSetting Management detects 2 slots with 512 mb
    in each.

    Guest, May 27, 2007

    Rock Guest

    "G" wrote
    > Hi, I have a question.
    > My Acer laptop came with 512 ram. I added another 512 stick of ram. I
    > then
    > upgraded to Vista home premium. Now windows shows the ram as 768. My
    > question is how do I get the remaining 256 mb to function?
    >
    > Bios also shows 768. Acer's eSetting Management detects 2 slots with 512
    > mb
    > in each.

    Sounds like the on board video is taking 256MB.

    --
    Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

    Rock, May 27, 2007

  3. If BIOS also shows 768mb of memory then you need to consider the
    possibilities that the new memory is bad, not compatible with your system,
    or not compatible with the already-installed memory.

    --
    Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]

    Richard G. Harper, May 27, 2007

    Graham Guest

    What did it say before? My Acer laptop uses system RAM as videoram,
    subtracting that from the total ram. That would give you 2565Mb of video RAM
    and 768Mb of system memory.

    Graham

    Graham, May 27, 2007

    Thanks Shawn
    You nailed it! I tried setting the Bios to 64Mb to see what happens....
    turns out it boosted my windows "base score". I'm going to try 128 next.

    Guest, May 27, 2007

    Thanks Rock, you are right.

    Guest, May 27, 2007

    Thanks Richard