Where's the .dmp file after crash

R

Ricky

I get a BSOD after installing a certain software,this happens every time during the re-boot procedure, the tech support people have asked me to send the .dmp file but my minidump directory is always empty following the crash. In startup/recovery settings (Debugging) I have set Small memory dump (64KB) Small dump directory: % systemRoot%\Minidump. Is there something else that must be enabled to see the .dmp file, thanks for any help.
(using XP pro/SP1)

P

Peter

1) From Start > Run type: drwtsn32.exe
2) Look in the "Crash Dump:" path area to locate the path
the dump file is located. Click Browse to go to the
user.dmp file

Hope this helps.
-----Original Message-----
I get a BSOD after installing a certain software,this
happens every time during the re-boot procedure, the tech
support people have asked me to send the .dmp file but my
minidump directory is always empty following the crash.
In startup/recovery settings (Debugging) I have set Small
memory dump (64KB) Small dump directory: % systemRoot%
\Minidump. Is there something else that must be enabled
to see the .dmp file, thanks for any help.

R

Ricky

thanks, I ran drwtsn32.exe and found a user.dmp file at "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp"

I opened it in notepad but it contains nothing pertaining to the crash I'm looking for.

The.dmp file I'm looking for should be created at this location C:\WINDOWS\Minidump, at least that is where
startup \recovery has been set to save the .dmp file, but it doesn't appear there after the crash, and I've repeated the crash a few times, with no luck at
finding the .dmp in that directory.

Reaction score
You can right click on "Computer" choose "Properties" and in the context menu go to "Advanced" and select "Startup and Recovery" which provides the link to the complete crash dump file.

Ask a Question