Where is SAFE MODE

Mick

HI all,
Norton has told me that I have a virus (W32.Randex) and to remove it
I need to go into SAFE MODE. I have tried by holding the F8 key down during
bootup, and tapping it. Have also tried power downing during bootup but
with no luck.

Is there any other way I can get into SAFE MODE ?

--

Thanks
Mick

ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
scanned by Norton Antivirus.

For more information, click the link below:
www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/product/nav_index.html

Wesley Vogel

I am really curious to know what pressing F5 will do on an XP machine.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Mick

THANKS TO ALL,
Tried the msconfig way and Norton found and
deleted 2 viruses.

Thanks to all who helped me out.

--

Thanks
Mick
West Midlands,
UK

ALL incoming and outgoing mail sent to, or from me on this computer is
scanned by Norton Antivirus.

For more information, click the link below:
www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/product/nav_index.html

Don Varnau

Hi Wes,
On my HP notebook, F5 gives the boot options screen, just as F8 does. I
think it's a Compaq/HP thing. ;-)

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Wesley Vogel

Hi Don,

Compaq/HP thing may explain it. :)

Because F5 has nothing to do with starting Windows XP in Safe Mode if one
doesn't have a machine of that brand.

I've seen people post about using F5 for Safe Mode in the past. And now I'm
really curious.

I looked for documentation and found nothing.

HP Pavilion PCs - Starting Windows XP in Safe Mode
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00013595&dlc=en&lang=en

HP Omnibook PC - Using Safe Mode
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=tis14791

Hardware and Software Guide
Compaq Notebook Series
http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposuppor...SupportManual/c00280446/c00280446.pdf&spname=

Hardware and Software Guide
HP Notebook Series
http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposuppor...SupportManual/c00280444/c00280444.pdf&spname=

Do you have any documentation, Don?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Wesley Vogel said:
I am really curious to know what pressing F5 will do on an XP machine.

Rock

Mick said:
THANKS TO ALL,
Tried the msconfig way and Norton found and
deleted 2 viruses.

Thanks to all who helped me out.

Great Mick, glad you got it fixed.

Carl G

I have a home built machine running XP PRO and F5 takes me to the boot
options just like F8.

--
Carl G

Wesley Vogel said:
I am really curious to know what pressing F5 will do on an XP machine.

Mark Barrett

OK the thing you need to know is that you have to hit F8 before you see the
windows xp logo. You should start hitting F8 before that screen and
immediatly after the bios boot screen. F5 will not take you into the safe
mode menu. The correct key is F8. Just keep hittin F8 right as the bios boot
screen ends. You should get there.

Anna

Mark Barrett said:
OK the thing you need to know is that you have to hit F8 before you see
the
windows xp logo. You should start hitting F8 before that screen and
immediatly after the bios boot screen. F5 will not take you into the safe
mode menu. The correct key is F8. Just keep hittin F8 right as the bios
boot
screen ends. You should get there.

Mick:
Try this also. Upon rebooting, just hold down the F8 key during the reboot.
*Don't* tap it. You may hear some unnerving beeps from the computer. Just
ignore them. This procedure sometimes (not always) works when the tap, tap,
tap method fails.
Anna

Wesley Vogel

Carl,

Well, I'll be sliced and diced.

F5 brings up the Boot Menu on my machine also. I just tried it and I was a
little amazed. Alright, I was a lot amazed. ;-)

I have an old Gateway, 1998 vintage. So F5 is not specific to any machine.
Must be an Easter Egg.

Win 95 uses F5 or F8.
Win 98 and ME use the Ctrl key or F8.
Win 2000 uses F8.
Win XP uses F8 AND apparently F5 also.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955[at]comcast.net> wrote in message
I am really curious to know what pressing F5 will do on an XP machine.

Carl G

Hi Wesley
I had a year 2000 Compaq with windows 98 and that was F5 to get to safe mode
if i recall right.
Now i have a (high class keyboard) with the F-Lock key and yried F5 on
there instead of hitting the F-lock and then F8 all the time and it worked.
Miracles happen every day i guess.
I learn something new every time i read these news groups.
Thank you

--
Carl G

Wesley Vogel said:
[...]

In Don Varnau <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> hunted and pecked:
Hi Wes,
On my HP notebook, F5 gives the boot options screen, just as F8 does. I
think it's a Compaq/HP thing. ;-)

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955[at]comcast.net> wrote in message
I am really curious to know what pressing F5 will do on an XP machine.

Carl G

Hi All I was haveing one of my senior moments with my last post.
I still need the F-Lock to do F5. I think i need a cup of java.
Bye all

--
Carl G

Wesley Vogel said:
[...]

I don't know of documentation on this. I think I just tried the F5 key and
it worked to get me to boot options.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Kelly

Hi Wes,

F5 worked on my non-OEM systems for Win98SE. Or use the Enable Start Menu
via Advanced.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Wesley Vogel said:
[...]

Hi Kelly,

I have XP Pro SP1a. No other operating system.

Keyboard has some extra keys for CD, etc., but they do nothing as there is
no keyboard software installed anymore. Software was for Windows 98 and was
not compatible with XP.

Standard keyboard, no remapped keys. No F Lock key.

F5 brings up the Boot Menu.

How to Start a Windows 98-Based Computer in Safe Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;180902

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Carl G said:
[...]

F5 works fine on my XP systems. My comment was to your earlier statement.
Win 98 and ME use the Ctrl key or F8.

As it also worked for me within Win98. :blush:)

--

In Carl G <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> hunted and pecked:
[...]

I suffer from CRS and can't remember that far back. :)

I just know what I read in...

How to Start a Windows 98-Based Computer in Safe Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;180902

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222

Neither article mentions F5. I wonder why.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Wesley Vogel said:
Hi Kelly,

I have XP Pro SP1a. No other operating system.

Keyboard has some extra keys for CD, etc., but they do nothing as there
is no keyboard software installed anymore. Software was for Windows 98
and was
not compatible with XP.

Standard keyboard, no remapped keys. No F Lock key.

F5 brings up the Boot Menu.

How to Start a Windows 98-Based Computer in Safe Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;180902

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes