Where are the MVPs MS touts so much?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000' started by Guest, Oct 16, 2007.

    jwkh

    Guest, Oct 16, 2007

    DL Guest

    In a server group, assuming that from your last post

    DL, Oct 16, 2007

    Bob I Guest

    They are volunteers, with real lives too.

    Bob I, Oct 16, 2007

    I know, but they shouldn't volunteer if they aren't going to be here. I'd at
    least like a "you need to be in that group," or "MS doesn't have a fix," or
    "we (I) have no idea."

    Of course, I'm acting out of frustration. I've posted dozens of times and
    have less than, maybe, a 15 percent response from any of them. Yet MS has a
    Web page touting them, with "profiles" of about half a dozen.

    MVP - the V stands for valuable. The implies value. There's no value in
    them not responding to as many questions as possible. Someone with the MVP
    "circle" should be checking to see if these questions are being addressed.
    If not, why even have the MVP program?

    And as to they have real lives too. So do I, and that life includes my
    family, myself and work, usually in that order. I do pretty well at
    balancing all, and I put in a lot of hours for all of them.

    jwkh

    Guest, Oct 16, 2007

    Derald Guest

    Well, since for the most part, they seem to be a group of top-posting
    twits, they're on twit lists where they belong and, likely, going
    unread.

    Derald, Oct 17, 2007

    Derald,

    I'm not sure I fully agree on that...but I don't come here that often. I
    have seen MVPs' "comment's" over "posting for recognition." Something I don't
    fully understand since I don't know what the MVP program is really about.

    Anyway, I've seen some great responses from MVPs...but even more from the
    grunts (other members).

    I just get upset that MS has a Web page that has so much about MVPs, but I
    see so many questions that are never replied to by any MVP.

    It seems to be an "official" program supported by MS, yet there is little
    support.

    That's just my opinion...I may be wrong.

    jwkh

    Guest, Oct 17, 2007

    Bob I Guest

    The MVP award is for the contributions in the previous year, nothing
    more, nothing less, and has no bearing on future replies. They
    volunteered their time to answer the questions they did answer. And
    nobody can speak for someone else, and since this is a public group, is
    certainly would be stupid for everyone that read your question to reply
    that "they didn't know". Now, just what makes you think you worthy of an
    answer? Perhaps you should consider what effort you put in as against
    what you seem to expect in return. And remember people only reply when
    they have something to say. Also, you may want to post under a different
    pseudonym for best future response.

    Bob I, Oct 17, 2007
  8. ....and, since it's a peer-to-peer newsgroup, there are many, many other
    persons who can answer questions other than just MVPs.

    Tom

    Tom [Pepper] Willett, Oct 17, 2007
  9. MVPs are *not* required to answer your questions.

    Tom [Pepper] Willett, Oct 17, 2007

    Let's see: this is a volunteer program supported (AND advertised) by MS as a
    means of support. BUT the volunteer may pick and choose, or not do anything
    at all? Then why have the program? Why be a "volunteer?" I did a lot of
    volunteer work about 10 years ago. I didn't pick and choose; I helped
    everyone in the line the best I could. And when I couldn't help, they had a
    reason...like it or not...they had someone saying something.

    I feel the MVP program is a MS sham. Just another way to push people into
    support that's often worthless and just to get them to pay for support that
    should be part of the product purchase.

    Guest, Oct 18, 2007
  11. Nobody is required to give you a response. And, with your attitude, you're
    lucky to get any.

    "jwkh" <> wrote in message
    | Let's see: this is a volunteer program supported (AND advertised) by MS
    as a
    | means of support. BUT the volunteer may pick and choose, or not do
    anything
    | at all? Then why have the program? Why be a "volunteer?" I did a lot of
    | volunteer work about 10 years ago. I didn't pick and choose; I helped
    | everyone in the line the best I could. And when I couldn't help, they had
    | reason...like it or not...they had someone saying something.
    |
    | I feel the MVP program is a MS sham. Just another way to push people into
    | support that's often worthless and just to get them to pay for support
    that
    | should be part of the product purchase.
    |
    | That's just my opinion...I may be wrong.
    |
    | jwkh
    |
    | "Tom [Pepper] Willett" wrote:
    |
    | > MVPs are *not* required to answer your questions.
    | >
    | > "jwkh" <> wrote in message
    | > | Derald,
    | > |
    | > | I'm not sure I fully agree on that...but I don't come here that often.
    | > | have seen MVPs' "comment's" over "posting for recognition." Something
    | > don't
    | > | fully understand since I don't know what the MVP program is really
    about.
    | > |
    | > | Anyway, I've seen some great responses from MVPs...but even more from
    the
    | > | grunts (other members).
    | > |
    | > | I just get upset that MS has a Web page that has so much about MVPs,
    but I
    | > | see so many questions that are never replied to by any MVP.
    | > |
    | > | It seems to be an "official" program supported by MS, yet there is
    little
    | > | support.
    | > |
    | > | That's just my opinion...I may be wrong.
    | > |
    | > | jwkh
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Tom [Pepper] Willett, Oct 18, 2007
  12. On 18.10.2007 14:39 UK Time, Tom [Pepper] Willett wrote:
    > Nobody is required to give you a response. And, with your attitude, you're
    > lucky to get any.

    Hear, hear!

    I don't come here that often and I'm not sure what caused "jwkh"'s
    twisted attitude, but FWIW whenever I post a question here (or at
    microsoft.public.word.application.errors, microsoft.public.access or
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support) I'm impressed with the
    helpfulness of the replies from MVPs and others, which is all the more
    remarkable and commendable in view of the fact that I'm a actually a
    Mozilla/open source fan (but nevertheless use Windows for my daily work
    because my main software from atril.com depends on it).

    In other words, credit where credit is due, and I regularly say so and
    recommend these groups and/or quote solutions posted here in other forums.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

    Herbert Eppel, Oct 18, 2007

    I owe a lot of people an apology. And I do apologize. But the fact remains
    that I have serious concerns about MS support in its entirety. And this was
    the wrong place to express that.

    I always use the MS Knowledgebase first, then I read these groups a few
    weeks back before I ask a question.

    However, it's become pretty evident it's more cost effective for me to just
    pay the $245 for direct MS support.

    And when I do come back here to ask a question, I will NOT change my so
    called pseudonym. (It is merely the 4 initials of my full name.) If people
    do not respond to my questions because of my recent comments, it'll just
    confirm my current concerns about the MS support alternatives.

    jwkh

    Guest, Oct 19, 2007

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Dave Patrick, Oct 20, 2007

    Guest, Oct 20, 2007

    Ven Guest

    Hey! Chil out dude! We all know ur frustuated just because you did not get
    any ansnwer for your queries. Well, so do a lot of people - Some of my
    earlier posts did not get a response. So what's the big deal ??? - I just
    tried other sources and got an answer.
    We are getting genuine reply from the MVP's - that mean they are spending
    their quality time in helping us - so we should be thankful to them. Forget
    about what MS has got to do with it.
    There are a lot of websites in the Internet posting solutions to various
    issues - but mind you - they might not be authentic. Its always a risk to
    try their solutions.
    Atleast here u are safe and you are avoiding spending $$$'s to MS for a
    quick reply.

    If anybody has problem with this kind of support then go elsewhere - but
    please dont waste ur time and the MVP's.

    Whatever support the MVP's have given me have worked. I respect and
    appreciate that.

    Thanks
    Ven

    Ven, Oct 20, 2007

    Enkidu Guest

    jwkh wrote:
    > Derald,
    >
    > I'm not sure I fully agree on that...but I don't come here that often. I
    > have seen MVPs' "comment's" over "posting for recognition." Something I don't
    > fully understand since I don't know what the MVP program is really about.
    >
    > Anyway, I've seen some great responses from MVPs...but even more from the
    > grunts (other members).
    >
    > I just get upset that MS has a Web page that has so much about MVPs, but I
    > see so many questions that are never replied to by any MVP.
    >
    > It seems to be an "official" program supported by MS, yet there is little
    > support.
    >
    > That's just my opinion...I may be wrong.

    MVPs (I was one) are rewarded for contributions in many areas and not
    just this forum. Also, those who do contribute to this forum are
    contributing on the same basis as anyone else - as a poster - and not
    because they are required to answer questions. However you may get a
    better or more accurate response from an MVP than from another poster.

    Microsoft do not support the MVP program - the MVP is an award for
    services to the community by individuals from MS. MVPs do not get paid,
    and contribute their time for free.

    There aren't that many MVPs either - last time I looked there were
    20,000 - and few of them are actually awarded the MVP for contributions
    in the forums.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?