Where are desktop toolbar settings stored?

I have created two desktop toolbars, each anchored to a side of the screen.
They are both set to auto hide/always on top.

Recently, one of them no longer pops up. Assuming it to be gone, I tried
to recreate it, and reanchor it to a side. However, I get the message:
A toolbar is already hidden on this side of your screen.

Obviously the original toolbar is still there, but it will not display and
right clicking on or dragging from the spot where it should be indicates
that it is not there.

I have searched the registry and can find no reference to this tool bar or
to the one that is still working fine.

If I knew where this info was stored I would be able to "revive" or else
completely delete the toolbar that is somehow there, but won't appear.

BTW, right clicking on the taks bar/toolbars does not show either of my
created tool bars. Right clicking on the working toolbar/toolbars shows
only that one.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Keith Miller

They are stored in binary format in the "Toolbars" value of this key:
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop]

The key is stored/modified in memory during a user session and only written to the registry at logoff, so normal deletion will have no effect. You must shutdown the explorer shell before deletion. So:

1) Open regedit & task manager

2) Select 'Start' -> 'Turn Off Computer'

3) Press & hold <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Shift> and click 'Cancel' in the 'Turn Off Computer' dialog. Your taskbar & desktop icons should disappear.
(Thanks to David Candy for this method)

4) Delete the "Toolbars" value from the registry.

5) In Task Manager, select 'File' -> 'New Task (Run...)' and type 'explorer'

6) Your shell should restart.

7) Recreate your toolbars

Keith

That worked GREAT - thanks.

I found where a couple of other folks have asked basically this same
question in the past and did not receive any helpful replies.

THANKS for the help.

That worked GREAT - thanks.

I found where a couple of other folks have asked basically this same
question in the past and did not receive any helpful replies.

THANKS for the help.

Amanda Wang [MSFT]

Hello,

I'm very glad to hear the issue has been fixed and greatly appeciate
Keith's helpful information!

If you have any other questions or concerns in the future, please feel free
to post here. We are very glad to be of assistance.

Thanks & Regards

Amanda Wang [MSFT]

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Kelly

Yall guys really need to drop the TomCat stuff and tell Bill we said so.
:blush:)

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,