    TripleEight Guest

    Everyone take a gamble! :)

    I say in 2007 January.

    TripleEight, Jan 19, 2005

  2. Next Tuesday.

    Susan Sontag in Hell, Jan 19, 2005

  3. TripleEight

    TripleEight Guest

    "Susan Sontag in Hell" <> wrote in message
    | Next Tuesday.

    That's cool! Could you tell me where I can get this AMD 10GHz processor? :D

    Also tell me which motherbaords would be the best! ; )

    TripleEight, Jan 19, 2005
  4. TripleEight

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:14:25 +0000, TripleEight wrote:

    > Everyone take a gamble! :)
    >
    > I say in 2007 January.

    I'l say 2010, but I really think it'll be a lot longer than that. Wonder
    why both amd an iintel are working on dual core cpu's.:)

    http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

    Wes Newell, Jan 19, 2005
  5. TripleEight

    Ed Koan Guest

    Re: When will the first "10 GHz" cpu be made available to the enduser?

    TripleEight wrote:
    > Everyone take a gamble! :)
    >
    > I say in 2007 January.

    I say never. There's little to no point at all ramping frequency up.
    The future is multiple core on chip and tricks like that.
    Look at AMD. It's 2 years they work at 2GHz with different cpus. But
    AMD64 is way faster than K7, even if their frequency is the same.

    Remember: 10GHZ means the light will travel for 3cm, slightly more than
    1". So you need several clock cycles before the signal moves on from the
    cpu to main memory. Your cpu will sit idle waiting for data.

    Ed Koan, Jan 19, 2005
  6. TripleEight

    TripleEight Guest

    "Ed Koan" <> wrote in message
    | TripleEight wrote:
    | > Everyone take a gamble! :)
    | >
    | > I say in 2007 January.
    |
    | I say never. There's little to no point at all ramping frequency up.
    | The future is multiple core on chip and tricks like that.
    | Look at AMD. It's 2 years they work at 2GHz with different cpus. But
    | AMD64 is way faster than K7, even if their frequency is the same.
    |
    | Remember: 10GHZ means the light will travel for 3cm, slightly more than
    | 1". So you need several clock cycles before the signal moves on from the
    | cpu to main memory. Your cpu will sit idle waiting for data.

    This leads lead to another question.

    Will there ever be a limit? I always had thought there would!

    TripleEight, Jan 19, 2005
  7. TripleEight

    TripleEight wrote:
    > "Ed Koan" <> wrote in message
    > | TripleEight wrote:
    > | > Everyone take a gamble! :)
    > | >
    > | > I say in 2007 January.
    > |
    > | I say never. There's little to no point at all ramping frequency up.
    > | The future is multiple core on chip and tricks like that.
    > | Look at AMD. It's 2 years they work at 2GHz with different cpus. But
    > | AMD64 is way faster than K7, even if their frequency is the same.
    > |
    > | Remember: 10GHZ means the light will travel for 3cm, slightly more than
    > | 1". So you need several clock cycles before the signal moves on from the
    > | cpu to main memory. Your cpu will sit idle waiting for data.
    >
    > This leads lead to another question.
    >
    > Will there ever be a limit? I always had thought there would!

    Well, you have some limits. Speed of light, for instance. Or limits due
    to Heisenberg's principle. Or even better in this case, size of an atom.
    The latter means you won't be able to create a circuit smaller than an
    atom (forget quantum computing, which is nice for writing SF stories).

    But if you start thinking just about the current situation, the
    bottleneck isn't cpu anymore. It's the I/O, i.e memory access. In real
    life DDR400 is not almost twice as fast as DDR266, say.
    What next? I don't know. But I doubt the speed of the *whole* pc will
    double every 18 months in the near future.

    Ed Koan, Jan 19, 2005
  8. TripleEight

    Mitch Crane Guest

    "TripleEight" <> wrote in

    > Everyone take a gamble! :)
    >
    > I say in 2007 January.

    Correct. And it will be a 1361-bit processor. Your video card will be the
    size of a small RV and will require a dedicated 3 phase power input. Hard
    drives will be solid state holographic crystal devices and we will drive
    flying cars.

    Oh, and Generalissimo Francisco Franco will still be dead.

    Mitch Crane, Jan 19, 2005
  9. In article <Xns95E3A69F6E3E5616F6E656174776F6174@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > "TripleEight" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Everyone take a gamble! :)
    > >
    > > I say in 2007 January.

    > Correct. And it will be a 1361-bit processor. Your video card will be the
    > size of a small RV and will require a dedicated 3 phase power input. Hard
    > drives will be solid state holographic crystal devices and we will drive
    > flying cars.

    You forgot: programs will know in advance when you want to run them and
    the results will be waiting for you whenever you sit down at your
    computer. In fact, they'll be so fast that they finish before they
    start.

    > Oh, and Generalissimo Francisco Franco will still be dead.

    LOL!

    (First post here, proud owner of an HP Pavilion a850e with an Athlon 64
    3400+, and somewhat wishing I'd read this newgroup before I ordered, but
    happy with my new machine, "Speedy", anyway, especially in comparison to
    the P2 400MHz it replaced).
    --
    Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
    "Poodles are space aliens who think they've disguised

    Debbie the Dogged, Jan 20, 2005
  10. Carlo Razzeto, Jan 20, 2005
  11. TripleEight

    Mitch Crane Guest

    Re: When will the first "10 GHz" cpu be made available to the enduser?

    Debbie the Dogged <> wrote in

    > In article <Xns95E3A69F6E3E5616F6E656174776F6174@130.133.1.4>,
    > says...
    >> "TripleEight" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Everyone take a gamble! :)
    >> >
    >> > I say in 2007 January.

    >> Correct. And it will be a 1361-bit processor. Your video card will be
    >> the size of a small RV and will require a dedicated 3 phase power
    >> input. Hard drives will be solid state holographic crystal devices
    >> and we will drive flying cars.

    > You forgot: programs will know in advance when you want to run them
    > and the results will be waiting for you whenever you sit down at your
    > computer. In fact, they'll be so fast that they finish before they
    > start.

    Damn! Gaming's gonna suck in the 21st century!

    >> Oh, and Generalissimo Francisco Franco will still be dead.

    > LOL!
    >
    > (First post here, proud owner of an HP Pavilion a850e with an Athlon
    > 64 3400+, and somewhat wishing I'd read this newgroup before I
    > ordered, but happy with my new machine, "Speedy", anyway, especially
    > in comparison to the P2 400MHz it replaced).

    Nice upgrade. That's the upside of not upgrading every year or two. You
    can actually feel the difference.

    Mitch Crane, Jan 20, 2005
  12. "Mitch Crane" <> wrote in message
    > "TripleEight" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Everyone take a gamble! :)
    >>
    >> I say in 2007 January.

    > Correct. And it will be a 1361-bit processor. Your video card will be the
    > size of a small RV and will require a dedicated 3 phase power input. Hard
    > drives will be solid state holographic crystal devices and

    > we will drive flying cars.

    Now that would be a nightmare, given that a fair percentage of people can't
    drive on land, let alone in the air. It'll never happen.

    Dracir Venostos, Jan 20, 2005
  13. TripleEight

    DougH Guest

    > > we will drive flying cars.
    >
    > Now that would be a nightmare, given that a fair percentage of people

    can't
    > drive on land, let alone in the air. It'll never happen.

    I can see it happening. It will just be a special license qualification
    like they have for a bus or an 18 wheeler. There will be those duffasses
    that have to remain on land and then there will be us flying high above the
    traffic jam.

    DougH

    DougH, Jan 20, 2005
  14. TripleEight

    Carlo Razzeto wrote:

    > Quantum Computers are the wave of the future

    Yes. In SF b-movies.

    Ed Koan, Jan 20, 2005
  15. TripleEight

    Roy Coorne Guest

    Susan Sontag in Hell wrote:
    > Next Tuesday.

    At 6:00 p.m. GMT

    Roy Coorne, Jan 20, 2005

    Carlo Razzeto, Jan 21, 2005
  17. Carlo Razzeto, Jan 21, 2005
  18. Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:14:25 +0000, TripleEight wrote:
    >
    >> Everyone take a gamble! :)
    >>
    >> I say in 2007 January.

    > I'l say 2010, but I really think it'll be a lot longer than that. Wonder
    > why both amd an iintel are working on dual core cpu's.:)

    Right you are Wes. That's where it will be. Instead of faster and faster
    clocks, it'll b more and more cpus' per chip. I wouldn't be surprised if
    you begin to see "on chip system memory".

    Registered Linux User Number 185956
    FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
    Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
    11:24pm up 103 days, 7:10, 8 users, load average: 0.10, 0.14, 0.09

    Jerry McBride, Jan 21, 2005
  19. TripleEight

    Carlo Razzeto wrote:
    > "Ed Koan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Carlo Razzeto wrote:
    >>
    >>>Quantum Computers are the wave of the future

    >>Yes. In SF b-movies.

    > You are way off... You have no idea!

    You don't have the sligthest notion of the real problems associated to
    this pseudoscienze.

    Come back when you'll store 1kqubit in real atoms.
    Yes, somewhere around 3420...

    Ed Koan, Jan 21, 2005
  20. TripleEight

    Lachoneus Guest

    Re: When will the first "10 GHz" cpu be made available to the enduser?

    > Correct. And it will be a 1361-bit processor. Your video card will be the
    > size of a small RV and will require a dedicated 3 phase power input. Hard
    > drives will be solid state holographic crystal devices and we will drive
    > flying cars.

    We'll also have to "activate" our eyeballs in order to see the picture
    on our 2000" TV screens. You know, to prevent freeloaders with
    telescopes from pirating the signal.

    Lachoneus, Jan 22, 2005