When is a sales blurb misleading?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Now, this may or may not be a good buy, a 24" Monitor for £230.00 + postage.

Link

But let's take a look at the text for the spec:

The OcUK Value L2442W has an industry leading ultra-fast 6ms GtG response time making it perfect for blur-free video and gaming. With it's 1000:1 contrast ratio and excellent viewing angles there is no other TFT/LCD that can match the quality, value or performance. Make the large screen affordable to all this 24" is ideal for gamers and professional users who require a high resolution screen capable of delivering very impressive quality with no limitation on viewing angles.

Sounds good doesn't it?

The OcUK Value L2442W has an industry leading ultra-fast 6ms GtG response time

So when was 6ms Industry leading then? Overclockers themselves are offering several 24" monitors with a 5ms response time and one 28" monitor with a 3ms response time. And just what does GtG mean anyway?

With it's 1000:1 contrast ratio and excellent viewing angles there is no other TFT/LCD that can match the quality, value or performance

Well excuse me but yes there is, there are several monitors in that range of better quality. As for value must admit it's a close run thing but that's open to conjecture when comparing price with quality.

with no limitation on viewing angles

Now that is plainly cow poo. There is always a limitation on viewing angles with TFT screens.

How often do we read the sales pitch and get sucked in by it?

Consider this:

1) It's unbranded.

2) It's cheap for a 24" monitor.

3) It's been named 'glossy black' as the Samsungs are selling so well with a glossy black design.

4) Most telling of all - it's been reduced in price which usually translates as it ain't selling too well and the supplier wants to shift stock.

Not a dig specifically at OCUK, just a general wake up call to read between the lines and don't get sucked in with a sales pitch.

Look, think, analyse, decide ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Wise words indeed there Flops :nod: That's one of the things I love about the internet - one can "window shop" for almost anything and if you take the time to read all the various "blurbs," you can you learn a bit more about the product (or so I have sometimes found) so the final purchase-decision is less likely to disappoint.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You're right, that is just a load of sales waffle! I bet people go for it at that price for a 24" though :wall:

Perhaps it is a good monitor, but considering you get what you pay for, I'd be surprised!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3336052.php

Is this the same one .

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:

Um, yes it is :blush:

I'd forgotten about that thread.

Oh well, I'll stand by what I think. I was browsing screens last night with a view for a bigger screen for my media computer.

I was thinking about, instead of getting a TV, maybe just getting a big monitor.

But eventually decided that a TV is not only bigger at 32" or 37" but has a lot more inputs and I could used the hdmi output from video card. A Samsung 32" TV typically costs about £500.00 and I could use a gaming console with it as well as a computer.

This Dell 30" monitor looks goodn though, very high definition, but it costs £833.00.

I think, when I eventually can afford it, I'll probably go for a TV.

Not bothered about a tuner btw as the computer has a Hauppage twin digital tuner card in it.

And that 37" Samsung at Play.com that was listed at this Forum a while ago actually dropped to £530.00 at one stage but is now back up to £590.00. Still a good buy though.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Having read all the various links, I may actually buy one of these :eek:

One thing I need to know though is will my GPU be up to the job of running it?

I don't game at all or use my PC for viewing DVD's etc, so I install nice cheap GPU's - the one in this machine is a MSI Ati Radeon RX1050.....

[mucks edit: link removed, malicious redirect, probably not intentional, but it is there ... :mad: ]

It is PCI-E and has DVI input, but is it going to be able to run this monitor at its optimum resolution of 1920 x 1200?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Having read all the various links, I may actually buy one of these :eek:

One thing I need to know though is will my GPU be up to the job of running it?

I don't game at all or use my PC for viewing DVD's etc, so I install nice cheap GPU's - the one in this machine is a .... [link removed]

It is PCI-E and has DVI input, but is it going to be able to run this monitor at its optimum resolution of 1920 x 1200?

I didn't actually say it wasn't any good, I was just questioning the integrity of the sales blurb.

It may very well be a good monitor :)

And btw, your link triggers my Antivir, asking me to Access Deny HEUR/ Exploit.html. So beware...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Oh dear - Kaspersky7 didn't make a murmer :(

Weird too that the link is direct from MSI's site - I had better run a few checks :thumb:

In the meantime, is anybody able to answer my query? :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The graphics card you have can do 2048 x 1536, however I don't know what the performance is going to be like. If you don't intend to do any high-res gaming then it may be fine for 2D work :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks Ian - I don't do any gaming at all, so it should be fine :thumb:

Regarding the dodgy link - I have scanned my machine with everything I can think off, including HijackThis and nothing found.

Its weird that an exploit can come direct from MSI's site - I'm sure they wouldn't put it there anyway - I have gone to it again and I'm still not getting anything.

Perhaps Flops/Mucks/Ian or anyone else brave enough who is sure of their security can have a look at the page and see what they come up with?

Non-linked address, just add the necessary ;) - msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=RX1050-TD128E&class=vga

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I believe, Flops & me, were at the site at the right time and caught "sight" of a malicious advert redirect ... because of the way adverts are displayed in general not everyone will "see" them.

I have no idea if KIS would have kicked in as I use Haute Secure as a first line of defence, an add-on for IE7, but was a little surprised that I was still redirected ... usually you just get an Haute Secure warning page.

I tried your new link, it is showing no affects as it did before.

You may wish to do some light reading on the subject ... I can point you in the direction for some heavy reading if you so wish ... ;)

yohttp://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=3727&rss

There is a very active community of "trackers" out there, all very interested in this "new" form of malware ... if you are interested, pop over to ...

http://www.fiddlercap.com/FiddlerCap/

... and follow instructions.

Then, save the proof of redirect as a SAZ file, and then send it to ...

(e-mail address removed)

... she is my "debugging" buddy, yes, I have sent off a SAZ file. :D

Back on topic ... any graphics' card that use system memory to "help out" don't get my vote for any PC. ;)

user.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks for the reading Mucks - I shall wade through it later
nod.gif

I may not have seen it as I also have several other malware security apps running, some of which block silently.

Regarding the GPU - its cheap and does what I need without a problem so it suited my requirements - however I will probably swop it round now with a X1950XT I have languishing in one of the crunchers, just never got around to doing it earlier.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
I will probably swop it round now with a X1950XT I have languishing in one of the crunchers, just never got around to doing it earlier.

That's a much better choice :nod:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
True - just gotta work out which machine its in now :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I bought one!!

I went ahead and bought one - if anyones interested I have done a quick initial review of it HERE :thumb:

Ask a Question