Whats up here?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by Peter F, Apr 24, 2009.

  1. Peter F

    Peter F Guest

    Hi All,

    Not sure what is happening to my vista laptop. Recently i have noticed that
    i am unable to play my DVD's. More to the point I am unable to see the DVD
    player in my computer.

    What i have done to remedy the situation is as follows.

    1. Booted up and checked the BIOS made sure that the CD was booting first
    and HDD second.
    2. Checked in My Computer properties there was no exclamation mark against
    any hardware and i was unable to see my DVD detailed there.
    3. The DVD player is an internal player and i am unable to detatch and
    re-attach.

    Please can anyone offer any help in solving this particular problem?

    KR.
    --
    Flinty

    Peter F, Apr 24, 2009

  2. On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:11:04 -0700, Peter F wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Not sure what is happening to my vista laptop. Recently i have noticed that
    > i am unable to play my DVD's. More to the point I am unable to see the DVD
    > player in my computer.
    >
    > What i have done to remedy the situation is as follows.
    >
    > 1. Booted up and checked the BIOS made sure that the CD was booting first
    > and HDD second.

    Not related.

    > 2. Checked in My Computer properties there was no exclamation mark against
    > any hardware and i was unable to see my DVD detailed there.

    It means Windows doesn't see a problem; unfortunately, it doesn't look very
    hard. For instance, it is not a hardware test.

    > 3. The DVD player is an internal player and i am unable to detatch and
    > re-attach.

    But you can uninstall the driver and reboot, which is often recommended for
    related problems.

    > Please can anyone offer any help in solving this particular problem?

    I can only try :)

    --
    Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

    Gene E. Bloch, Apr 25, 2009

  3. Peter F

    Peter F Guest

    Hi Gene,

    Thanks for the reply.

    The point I was trying to make was that I CANNOT see the DVD anywhere in
    windows. Not even to uninstall the drivers and reinstall.

    Do you have any other ideas?

    KR

    --
    Flinty

    Peter F, Apr 25, 2009
  4. Peter F

    brush-head Guest

    Have you tried scan for hardware changes? that may trigger the detection of
    the drive.
    The only time I had a problem similar to this under XP was on an old Compaq
    notebook. That turned out to be the device itself had failed.
    Good Luck

    brush-head, Apr 25, 2009
  5. Peter F

    Peter F Guest

    Hi Brush-head,

    Yes i have completed a Scan for hardware changes. but still did not pick up
    the drive.

    Do you have any other thoughts

    --
    Flinty

    Peter F, Apr 25, 2009
  6. Peter F

    Peter Foldes Guest

    See the following
    http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/missing_CD-DVD_drives.html
    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Apr 25, 2009
  7. Peter F

    Rick Rogers Guest

    Hi,

    Try the steps outlined here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick Rogers, Apr 25, 2009
  8. Peter F

    brush-head Guest

    I know you can't play DVD's but have you tried a CD?
    Maybe a CD with just data on it - can you use explorer?
    If that don't work it may be the drive has packed up.
    If still under warranty then contact supplier.
    If not, use the manufacturers option as a last resort because they tend to
    be expensive.
    I picked up a DVD writer in the UK for the Compaq I mentioned for about
    36GBP whereas Compaq want about 150! Only issue I had was that the screw
    heads securing the bay were 000 which is very small & locating a screw
    driver to get the old drive out took some time. The driver came in handy
    though 'cos my son wanted to upgrade his Acer with the same model drive.
    Oh only other issue was because the Compaq had a strange shape facia on the
    drive door I had to remove the facia from the new drive. doesn't look pretty
    but it works.
    Good Luck

    brush-head, Apr 25, 2009
  9. Peter F

    Noel Paton Guest

    On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 00:48:01 -0700, Peter F
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Gene,
    >
    >Thanks for the reply.
    >
    >The point I was trying to make was that I CANNOT see the DVD anywhere in
    >windows. Not even to uninstall the drivers and reinstall.
    >
    >Do you have any other ideas?
    >
    >KR

    Can you actually see the drive is present n the BIOS/CMOS setup
    screen??
    If not, then you have a hardware problem.
    --
    Noel Paton
    www.crashfixpc.co.uk

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    Noel Paton, Apr 25, 2009
  10. On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:57:03 +0100, Noel Paton wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 00:48:01 -0700, Peter F
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Gene,
    >>
    >>Thanks for the reply.
    >>
    >>The point I was trying to make was that I CANNOT see the DVD anywhere in
    >>windows. Not even to uninstall the drivers and reinstall.
    >>
    >>Do you have any other ideas?
    >>
    >>KR

    > Can you actually see the drive is present n the BIOS/CMOS setup
    > screen??
    > If not, then you have a hardware problem.

    Good catch. Thanks for that.

    I also meant for the OP to go to Device Manager to uninstall the drive
    followed by a reboot, but I couldn't tell from his reply whether that is
    what he did.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

    Gene E. Bloch, Apr 28, 2009