What's new on :"Windows CE Utilities for Visual Studio .NET 2003 Add-on"

jose baldner [Msft]

Hi Alberto,

Windows CE Utilities for Visual Studio .NET 2003 Add-on contains:
Windows CE CPU Picker for devices with ActiveSync
Smart Device Authentication Utility for devices without ActiveSync
Settings to enable debugging with x86-based Windows CE devices
Components needed to enable debugging with certain devices
Tools to work around known issues with connecting to Pocket PC
and non-Pocket PC devices.
A tool to work around the known issue of XML skin files for SDK
emulators not opening.

you can try also:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=74473FD6-1DCC-47AA-
AB28-6A2B006EDFE9&displaylang=en

What problems did you have connecting from vs 2003 ?

Thanks,
Jose Baldner [MS]

| From: "Alberto Silva" <albertosilva@_mundomovel_.com>
| Subject: What's new on :"Windows CE Utilities for Visual Studio .NET 2003
Add-on"
| Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:44:07 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Hi,
| At www.smartphonethoughts.com I saw a link to the updated "Windows CE
| Utilities for Visual Studio .NET 2003 Add-on" at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7ec99ca6-2095-4086-
b0cc-7c6c39b28762&displaylang=en

| Since I'm having problems connecting from VS.net 2003 to a Casio IT500
| CE.net 4.1 device for debuging & deploying, and the previous version of
this
| tool didn't help, I would like to know what has been updated on this
| release.
|
| Thanks,
| Alberto Silva

Alberto Silva

What problems did you have connecting from vs 2003 ?

Hi Jose,
This is what I can do:
- connect from VS.net 2003 to...
- ipaq 5450 (ARM - pocket pc 2002)
- Casio EG800 (MIPS - pocket pc 2000)
- Synchronize with ActiveSync with
- ipaq 5450 (ARM - pocket pc 2002)
- Casio EG800 (MIPS - pocket pc 2000)
- Casio IT-500 (Xscale - ce.net 4.1)
- Execute my vs.net 2003 projects on the IT500 if I copy the exe files to
the device with ActiveSync
- Synchronize SQLserver information from the IT500 with the server using
sqlce relay
- use the new powertoys 'RAPISTART' and 'CECOPY' from the command line with
the IT500

I simply can't:
- connect to the IT500 from VS.net 2003, even installing the Add-on and
selecting the Armv4t CPU
- debug and deployment from vs.net 2003 also generates the error that the
device can't be found, having of course an ActiveSync connection alive.

What I haven't tried yet...
- login with another username, although I have administrator rights and I
tried the new tools on the add-on update regarding this issue. I also tried
to copy the delcryptokey.exe on the device.

Regards,
Alberto Silva

Alberto Silva

Hi Joe,
From the desktop side I remember that I could find toolhelp.dll on the
device... as soon as I get the it500 back, I'll try the tools and inform
you.

Have a nice week-end,
Alberto Silva

Alberto Silva

Jose,
I've just read a post from you about Pentium II being below the minimum
requirements for vs.net 2003... in fact, I'm using a PII 400mhz with
512ram... I have no performance issues with it, but can it be the cause for
the problem with the connection to the CE 4.1 device (it works fine however
with the PocketPC 2000 and 2002 devices...)

Thanks,
Alberto Silva

Alberto Silva

Hi Jose,
Better later than never...

I've just followed your instructions and here are the files contents
attached.

I've just deleted the following 2 files:
\windows\ConmanClient.exe
\windows\Cmtnpt_TcpAccept.dll

Because this one didn't exist:
\windows\NETCFKEYS\<UserName>.<MachineName>.blb
In fact, there's no \windows\NETCFKEYS folder on the device.

After running the diagnostic, I've tried to connect to the device and I've
succeeded the first time, but not the following tries, so I'm depending on
your answer...

The device is a Casio IT500 with CE.net 4.1 with Casio SP1 installed.

Best Regards,
Alberto Silva - Mobile Devices MVP

jose baldner said:
Hi Alberto,
Could you check if yout Casio IT-500 has toolhelp.dll ? you need to
check this from the desktop since the device did not show dlls.
Could you run the attached tools and send me the results( look for
details on the readme)?

jose baldner said:
Hi Alberto,
Could you check if yout Casio IT-500 has toolhelp.dll ? you need to
check this from the desktop since the device did not show dlls.
Could you run the attached tools and send me the results( look for
details on the readme)?

Thanks,
Jose Baldner [MS]

| From: "Alberto Silva" <albertosilva@_mundomovel_.com>
| Subject: Re: What's new on :"Windows CE Utilities for Visual Studio .NET
2003 Add-on"
| Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:39:53 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|

| > What problems did you have connecting from vs 2003 ?
| >

| Hi Jose,
| This is what I can do:
| - connect from VS.net 2003 to...
| - ipaq 5450 (ARM - pocket pc 2002)
| - Casio EG800 (MIPS - pocket pc 2000)
| - Synchronize with ActiveSync with
| - ipaq 5450 (ARM - pocket pc 2002)
| - Casio EG800 (MIPS - pocket pc 2000)
| - Casio IT-500 (Xscale - ce.net 4.1)
| - Execute my vs.net 2003 projects on the IT500 if I copy the exe files to
| the device with ActiveSync
| - Synchronize SQLserver information from the IT500 with the server using
| sqlce relay
| - use the new powertoys 'RAPISTART' and 'CECOPY' from the command line
with
| the IT500
|
| I simply can't:
| - connect to the IT500 from VS.net 2003, even installing the Add-on and
| selecting the Armv4t CPU
| - debug and deployment from vs.net 2003 also generates the error that the
| device can't be found, having of course an ActiveSync connection alive.
|
| What I haven't tried yet...
| - login with another username, although I have administrator rights and I
| tried the new tools on the add-on update regarding this issue. I also
tried
| to copy the delcryptokey.exe on the device.
|
| Regards,
| Alberto Silva

jose baldner [Msft]

Hi Alberto,
As you said better later than never.

\windows\NETCFKEYS\ is the place where Vs keeps the authentication keys for your device. without this files it will refuse to connect.

Could you check if your device has the DLL to support CryptoAPI this could be causing the fail.

Thanks,
Jose Baldner [MS]

From: "Alberto Silva" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: What's new on :"Windows CE Utilities for Visual Studio .NET 2003 Add-on"