What to do for Lost Vista Public Keys

Chad Harris

1) As Darrell Gorter of the MSFT Vista Setup Team pointed out, one can call
to register this build. Call them for assistance.

2) At this moment a large percentage of 26,000 TBTs or Beta testers are
downloading this build or more accurately many or cry babying that they
can't get it fast enough to suit their gratification driven psyches. Many
of them will not lift a finger to do meaningful bug testing or any type of
feedback, participate in the Beta Live Meetings and chats. Only a fraction
of them will averaging from 100-200 so you can do the math by putting those
numbers over 26000. It comes to approximately 0.00384615% or twice that
amount for the larger number. Very shortly after this, you will also have
an opportunity to re-enter the program and obtain Build 5536 or close and a
PK. But I would encourage you in the meantime to call them now and obtain a
key. The number appropriate to your area is at the bottom of
http://support.microsoft.com

I hope you are able to obtain it today and to begin to enjoy the
interesting dynamics that have gone into the way the Vista Beta has
comported itself.

Enjoy,

CH

Rob Wilkens

I'd be cry-babying that if three is an ISO image of the new beta, there
doesn't appear to be ISO-burning software that works with Windows Vista, and
as a result I'm required (like last time) to BOOT INTO LINUX and use Gnome's
built in CD Burner (I simply locate the Windows Vista ISO file in Linux,
right click on it, and select 'burn to disk' and it does it). Why the heck
doesn't windows (or does it and I'm missing it) include built in DVD/CD ISO
file burning?

I'm not a TBT (Technical Beta Tester, I presume), though I was a TBT of MSN
Back in 1998 and received free copies of Windows 98 as a result of my beta
testing (and all sorts of other little goodies: T-Shirts, a Koozie, etc.).
I just discovered these msg boards (though, yes, I used the same
news-server back then for beta testing, I just forgot they were there).

By the way, someone should tell MS: re: Windows Live Mail beta that by
default the Micrsoft news server is set up as 'msnews.microsoft.com' which
is unavailable and it should be 'news.microsoft.com' (I had to manually
change that).

-Rob

<DIV>&quot;Chad Harris&quot; &lt;[email protected]&gt;

MICHAEL

Umm, the name of the server is "msnews.microsoft.com".

The only other Microsoft server I am aware of is
"betanews.microsoft.com". But you have to have an
ID and password for that.

-Michael

<DIV>&quot;Chad Harris&quot; &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote in message
news:[email protected]... said:
[...]

Oh, "news.microsoft.com" works, too.

-Michael

news:[email protected]... said:
[...]

Richard Urban

msnews.microsoft.com has been working for me for many years.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Rob Wilkens said:
[...]

Odd, I have to connect to this news server at news.microsoft.com ..
Connecting to msnews.microsoft.com gives me a server not found message.

-Rob

Rob Wilkens said:
[...]

msnews.microsoft.com used to work when I was a dial-up msn user (I think
it's internal to microsoft's network). news.microsoft.com was (in 1998)
their public server.

-Rob

<DIV>&quot;MICHAEL&quot; &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote in message
news:[email protected]... said:
-Michael

Rob Wilkens said:
[...]

Maybe it was an intermittent problem because both DNS names resolve to the
same address. Regardless, news.microsoft.com is working for me now, no big
deal. You're totally avoiding the main part of my message : How do you burn
an ISO image natively in Vista??

-Rob

<DIV>&quot;Richard Urban&quot; &lt;[email protected]&gt;

Rob Wilkens said:
[...]

Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

Rob:
DVD burning is new to Vista and I think it's very limited due to
licensing issues.

wrote in message 1)
[...]

Jane C

Vista does not have the ability to burn iso images natively. You would need
a 3rd party application, such as Nero, Roxio or burncdcc (a freebie).

--
Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;)

wrote in message 1)
[...]

I own Roxio Record Now 8 and it doesn't work with Vista so far as I can tell
(It installed, but "seemed" to get stuck on burning)...

Waste of $29.99.

I'll have to look for the free one later.

-Rob

<DIV>&quot;Jane C&quot; &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote in

wrote in message 1)
[...]

Rob --

The only newsgroup alias I've know to connect via OE's NNTP reader is the
one Micheal named, msnews.microsoft.com and it's name is reflected if you
click Tools>Accounts> (where you would configure it) for either Outlook
Express in Windows OS's up through XP SP2 or where it would be configured in
Windows Mail through Vista Build 5536 or any daily builds Michael or the
Softies are using.

If you're trying to configure OE for newsgroups then all you have to do is
google OE newsgroups. Win Mail is a one click configure.

One good Windows Mail feature is that if you click Microsoft Help Groups it
automatically downloads newsgroups which hopefully will result in many more
people now reaching one of the best and most underused Microsoft teaching
modalities--the newsgroups or what used to be usenet. If you're using
Vista, you can configure Windows Mail

I know there are many other NNTP readers, and many people who are regulars
on the groups have their own favorites whose features they like better than
the OE/Win Mail NNTP. The MSFT communities have web access but it is
pathetic, slow, poorly featured and managed by the most incompetent who draw
a MSFT paycheck or who are orange badge contractors. Orange badges can be
great workers who are sometimes screwed out of benefits or equilibirum on
the MSFT campus, or they can be incompetent and worthless which they are in
the positions that tend the MSFT html based newsgroups.

www.organgebadge.com

When they have a glitch, the people assinged by MSFT to the communities
are too lazy to correct it for months or even years, (the glitch where
people on the web interface post the same message multiple times and have
for months would server as exhibit "A" which raises the question of what if
anything they do for their paychecks. It's a far cry from Lili Cheng (the
architecht with MSFT research with her team on loan to Vista for who knows
what and also

The MSFT MVPs for OE lobbied hard for many features and got few of them
because basically OE and Win Mail are a bastard step child that doesn't
generate any profit at MSFT--and the fact that they are teaching vehicles
means nothing to MSFT. They also do a great job of support on the
newsgroups with OE/Win Mail , on their own sites, and of explaining and
teaching MSFT software outside OE/Win Mail. But Outlook is the cash cow
that gives the milk on the planet not OE and Outlook gets the
attention--MSFT cares little about Win Mail or OE, and has added little in
the way of features for it over the year. These gaps have been filled by
3rd parties and MVPs with their backups and other nifty utilities.

CH

wrote in message 1)
[...]

msnews.microsoft.com is what is working right now whether you use WinMail or
OE. Hit tools>accounts in Win Mail or OE whatever you're using and take a
look.

CH

Rob Wilkens said:
msnews.microsoft.com used to work when I was a dial-up msn user (I think
it's internal to microsoft's network). news.microsoft.com was (in 1998)
their public server.

-Rob

<DIV>&quot;MICHAEL&quot; &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote in message
news:[email protected]... said:
-Michael

wrote in message 1)
[...]

Web-based anything-interactive is slow --- AJAX is a blessing and a curse to
developers. I started doing a web Contact Manager for a potential client
but unfortunately, once we added several hundred records to the dataset, The
web CLIENT interface crawled (I had drag-n-drop, a home-made tree interface,
pop-up details, etc.). The problem with web interfaces is that Javascript
sucks (or I'm just not that good at it!). Programming for web browsers
sucks (Internet Explorer 7 was a _little_ better than Internet Explorer 6).
Temporary work-around in my case was to do the application in Java and
performance is notably better (save for the initial application load time).
I'm still working on that and hoping I'll make some cash on the side
(legally, but low enough to be keeping my disability benefits).

I'm not using Outlook Express. I'm using Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta --
Which comes with msnews.microsoft.com pre-programmed into it. To see the
Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta (a.k.a. the next version of Outlook
Express -- because When you click send/receive you _see_ the same outlook
express send/receive dialog) take a look at www.live.com (log out if you're
logged in) and click for beta/more information.