Windows XP What the?

Reaction score
I got in today, turned on the PC, typed in my Pass, and hit enter.

On login, i got an error "windows cannot load part of this login account, this may be because the user does not have the privilidges to do so" i hit OK, and left it for 5 mins. nothing, so i restarted it.

I then tried again, this time, there was no error. but my desktop had been replaced by the default Dell one, and all my shortcuts were gone. i went to my documents, and there was nothing there. it was as if someone had deleted my user account, and remade it.

I needed all my docs and settings back, so i went to system restore. this crashed, causing my pc to freze fully. i restarted it, and tried again. this time after leaving it for 20 mins, it restored the PC. all my docs & settings have been restored, but my PC is running so very slowly.

I am running a virus scan (NIS2004) and will run a spyware scan (spysweeper)

But, what could it have been, what would erase all my files. it could not have been another person, because the house was empty & locked all day, and my account is password protected.

Was it a bad dose of spyware & virus together, or an opperating system error?

KGB

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
When XP goes wrong, it can go wrong with a vengeance ... especially after a shutdown.

It could be a piece of hardware failing.

;)

Reaction score
No

That sounds reeallly strange KGB, it sounds more likely to be Hardware than software. Maybe the HDD?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My first thought was a virus.

But if just one or two files within XP go belly-up, the whole shebang can go to pieces.

Let us know how you get on KGB.

Reaction score
No virus!

You think my HD is dying? - It is only a couple of months old!

If it happenes again, ill contact Dell, and see what they have to say. if not, ill just forget about it!

Ask a Question