What should I upgrade?

Reaction score
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R Rev.2
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4500 2.2Ghz
Graphics Card: ATI HD 4600
RAM:4GB Corsair DDR2
Hard Drive: 1TB Maxtor
Audio: Creative Sound blaster 2

I want to play games like Crysis, GTA 4, etc.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ideally motherboard/CPU/memory/graphics card.

Budget decision: graphics card.

Possibly a quad core cpu may help if the motherboard takes one.

Your current setup should be able to handle GTA4 easily btw, I have a similar set and play GTA4 no probs.

Reaction score
Ok. So, I ordered Nvidia Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT. But I don't know what Motherboard and CPU to buy. I have another 2 GB memory but they are faulty and has been sent to repair.I should get them back next week -- that makes it 6 GB in total.

Can you recommend me a Motherboard and CPU to buy?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I think (if i remember right) that motherboard needs to have the BIOS updated to be able to accept a quad, but that is what i'd look at doing.

Failing that that CPU is usually a good overclocker if your that way inclined. :)

What sort of budget you got?

Ideally you will need more than a 9800GT to run Crysis with any eye candy on...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-P35-DS3R(rev._2.1).html

Above will tell you waht cpu's you can use. Not really any need to upgrade the mobo.

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The 9800 GT isn't really cutting edge for latest games, I have the GTX 9800 and it struggles with some games.

If I were you I'd spend as much as possible on a graphics card and get a quad core processor.

This would be a much better choice than the 9800 GT, a 460 at around £150.00 but if you can afford it go for a 570 or 580.

Choice of three Core 2 Quad cores here but check compatibility/Bios with your motherboard first.

Your current memory is DDR2 btw which means to get a worthwhile motherboard upgrade you'd have to buy DDR3 memory for it.

Reaction score
Well, a budget limit would really help.
The only item that shouts out for an upgrade is the video card.
If a 9800GT breaks your budget, then all you can do is a mild overclock on the cpu.
There's no point in investing $$$ in a socket 775 system beyond a video card that can move to a newer box. What you have looks pretty good anyway. I'd say you should put all funds into a better card.

Ask a Question