What motherboard for an Athlon XP 2800+?

Reaction score
I am just about to order an Athlon XP 2800+ chip, but am not sure which motherboard to go for?

I don't need video on it, as I intend to put a separate video card in, I don't need RAID. I do need fairly decent sound on the motherboard to save me buying a separate card.

But most of all I gues, I want good stable performance.

Recommendations?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A second vote for Asus.

Asus A7N8X-X would fit the bill at around £53.00 or if you want Firewire, SATA support and better onboard audio as well, the deluxe version at around £82.00.

Both good motherboards.

MSI K7N2 Delta is also well worth considering at around £54.00.

Reaction score
maybe get ya self a XP2500 instead and increase the fsb and if by magic ya get 2.2ghz instead of 1.8

Reaction score
What about the Gigabyte 7N400P 2? Just seen that advertised in my local shop, but can't find much info on it.

They also have Creative Audigy soundcards for £52, so I might just get a separate sound card as well.

Firewire sounds useful though.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Gigabyte 7N400P 2, from the reviews I've read, is a fine board. Costs around £90.00.

I didn't include that in recommendations as you said you didn't need RAID.

And really, the onboard sound on all of the boards mentioned here is easily as good as a seperate Sound card. In my opinion, you'd just be wasting money buying an Audigy card and disabling onboard sound.

Tekheads stock the Gigabyte 7N400P, £89.30 + Del.

Ask a Question