What is the HOSTS file?

ah

Jan said:
Ohhh Phooh! Sorry...my mouse got too antsy. :)

I sort of get the idea of how it works now...but, I'm going to have to think
more on this..I think. I'm still somewhat confused. Well..ok ok..a lot
confused. All this is very easy for those who understand all the tech terms
and how it all works, and I know you are all so patiently trying to get it
into my head. It is most likely very simple, but, it is sort of like Algebra
when I first stated the class. I just could not get the signs right, the +'s
and -'s. But, once I finally got it into my head how they worked, I got
straight A's. I'll get it yet. :)

Well, your friends don't say "Hi 123-45-6789!" . . . they say "Hi Jan!"

Hi Jan!

o.k. . . . bad analogy: the names and SSNs are kinda fixed in the
bipedal-hominid world. Well, SSNs /can/ be re-used after the hominid's term has
expired (and people can change their name), but that's still not quite right....

Just remember that the A=B mapping between the # and the Name has to take place
somewhere . . . local or distal. Convincing HOSTS (i.e., beat it into
submission with a text-editor) to lie is a way to circumvent the OS's
reaching-out on the wire to ask some other system (e.g., DNSS) it's opinion on
what # equals what Name.

Since Windows is (at-heart) gullible, and HOSTS is its buddy, it will believe
what HOSTS has to say . . . even if HOSTS is telling a lie.

If you're going to lie, lie well ;-)

Jan Il

Jan :)
The only thing I don't like about using Xnews is that it doesn't have a
spell checker. I have to use APSC and I hate it. I don't know why the
developer of Xnews just couldn't have used Object Oriented Programming
and used the dll that contains the spell checker logic for MS Word or
Wordperfect etc, etc. The developer came up short on that one.

I never could spell and it's pure luck when it doesn't have a misspelling
by me.

Duane :)

Ohhh...but Duane...just think of all the fun we'd miss teasing about fudgy
fingers on Keystone keyboards. I have spell checker on my OE that uses the
Word XP spell checker, but, more often than not, it does not work when
posting messages to the NG's. I have to save the message as a draft, then
open it and run the spell checker. Sometimes I am in a hurry, or just forget
to save it as a draft first, so, even thught I run the spell chkcer, it does
not always catvh it. <bg>

What kills me is to be off one letter on the keyboard when typing a 10 page
system wide electrical meter consumption comparison report for 3 years, that
has to be on the Prez's desk to present to the Board of Directors within an
hour, and not notice it until I run the spell checker at the end. :-((

Jan :)

Gino Zantafio

What IP address shall the names point to ?
Mine points to 0.0.0.0 and never had any problem for long.

What's the difference with 127.0.0.1 & 127.0.0.0 ?

TIA

Jan Il

ah said:
Well, your friends don't say "Hi 123-45-6789!" . . . they say "Hi Jan!"

Lol! Hi Andrew..;-)

....distal??....'k.... said:
Since Windows is (at-heart) gullible, and HOSTS is its buddy, it will believe
what HOSTS has to say . . . even if HOSTS is telling a lie.
If you're going to lie, lie well ;-)

Ha ha ha!!! Well...I'm not sure I really want my machine to lie to me any
more than it already does! Either it's getting better at it, or I'm in
worse shape than I thought! <bg> But, I get the idea of the
connection.....or disconnection. I'll keep this formula in mind while I
stare at the monitor thinking .....'to add, or not to add.....that the
question'...;-)

Thank you very much for your input and help to explain and clear the fog. I
truly do appreciate it.

Jan :)

David W. Hodgins

What IP address shall the names point to ?
Mine points to 0.0.0.0 and never had any problem for long.

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, 0.0.0.0 indicates it's
not a valid ip, whereas 127.* is local loopback. i.e., the same
computer.
What's the difference with 127.0.0.1 & 127.0.0.0 ?
For the hosts file, there is no difference. 127.anything works.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

FromTheRafters

Jan Il said:
FromTheRafters said:
[snip}

www.micorsoft.com is definitly a site you want in your HOSTS file. Notice
the spelling.

Micorsoft...Micorsoft...now where have I seen that before...
...oh yeah!

http://dino-soft.org/security/newurlhole.html

..don't be fooled, you are not really there....

LOL! Some people have too much hands on their time. ;-)

My friend Sugien somehow managed to transpose letters twice
in one word. Well, what can I say ~ he *is* the king of mangle.

:O)

Duane Arnold

I have tried with and without the DNS Client Service active on my
WinXP Home system. I have set it to Manual and rebooted after
reading about this somewhere but I can't find the reference now.
With Manual selected I have not had a problem Internet related so far.

With it active I do notice a delay going to the first Web site after
activation but no difference thereafter.

Home users (not to be confused with ALL WinXP Home users) do not need
the DNS Client Service active. It's one of the many un-needed WinXP
Services that start automatically.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#DNS_Client

Well,

I do use IPsec to supplement the protection of my Win2k and XP Pro
machines on the network. So it looks like I'll be keeping the DNS service
running on them. I have set policy rules on them to not allow outbound
traffic to some Domain names from the machines.

And micorsoft.com is not one of them. <g>

http://lists.gpick.com/pages/IP_Security_(IPSec).htm

Duane :)

ah

Jan said:
ah said:
Jan said:
[snip]

I sort of get the idea of how it works now...

[snip]

Well, your friends don't say "Hi 123-45-6789!" . . . they say "Hi Jan!"

Lol! Hi Andrew..;-)

lo

Twas nice to wear sandals, today (yeah, right!--it's way too cool to be cool) ;-)
...distal??....'k.... <g>

Yeah! <a-HEM>:

"The local-host bone is conected to the LAN bone.
The LAN bone is connected to the WAN bone.
And the WAN bone is connected to the Backbone.
[. . .]"

;-)
Ha ha ha!!! Well...I'm not sure I really want my machine to lie to me any
more than it already does! Either it's getting better at it, or I'm in
worse shape than I thought! <bg> But, I get the idea of the
connection.....or disconnection. I'll keep this formula in mind while I
stare at the monitor thinking .....'to add, or not to add.....that the
question'...;-)

Ah, but HOSTS is your buddy, too . . . sorta 'your partner in crime'.

But, grounding links isn't a crime . . . think of it as a little secret between
just you and your HOSTS :)
Thank you very much for your input and help to explain and clear the fog. I
truly do appreciate it.

! Dang: you need the fog for your ship!

Jan Il

FromTheRafters said:
FromTheRafters said:
[snip}

www.micorsoft.com is definitly a site you want in your HOSTS file. Notice
the spelling.

Micorsoft...Micorsoft...now where have I seen that before...
...oh yeah!

http://dino-soft.org/security/newurlhole.html

..don't be fooled, you are not really there....

LOL! Some people have too much hands on their time. ;-)

My friend Sugien somehow managed to transpose letters twice
in one word. Well, what can I say ~ he *is* the king of mangle.

:O)

Ha Ha! ....it would seem he is a person of many 'talents.'...8-D

taff

Jan said:
ah said:

[snip]

Yeah! <a-HEM>:

"The local-host bone is conected to the LAN bone.
The LAN bone is connected to the WAN bone.
And the WAN bone is connected to the Backbone.
[. . .]"
And so say all of us.
:-=))
Taff.........
;-)

Ah, but HOSTS is your buddy, too . . . sorta 'your partner in crime'.

But, grounding links isn't a crime . . . think of it as a little secret between
just you and your HOSTS :)

! Dang: you need the fog for your ship!

www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

Jan Il

ah said:
Jan said:
ah said:
Jan Il wrote:

[snip]

I sort of get the idea of how it works now...

[snip]

Well, your friends don't say "Hi 123-45-6789!" . . . they say "Hi Jan!"

Lol! Hi Andrew..;-)
lo

yo

Twas nice to wear sandals, today (yeah, right!--it's way too cool to be
cool) ;-)

Well... now I didn't say _wear_ them....I just said to break them out...
; said:
...distal??....'k.... <g>

Yeah! <a-HEM>:

"The local-host bone is conected to the LAN bone.
The LAN bone is connected to the WAN bone.
And the WAN bone is connected to the Backbone.
[. . .]"

;-)

I see....yes..well...it's good that you keep your day job. :)
Ah, but HOSTS is your buddy, too . . . sorta 'your partner in crime'.

But, grounding links isn't a crime . . . think of it as a little secret between
just you and your HOSTS :)

Ooohooo....secrets.....kewl! <g>

'k....'s long as I don't have to be held accountable for the caper by
myself. When the questions arise as to who the culprit is, I'll just shrug
and say "Never mind the butler, the HOSTS-ess did it!" :)
! Dang: you need the fog for your ship!

Heh...not to worry....there's never a lack of fog in my Domain.. vbg>

Oh....yeah....there is a question that drifted in from the downlift.....when
I go to the sites, where do I find the information for the ad server that I
need to put in the HOSTS file? I know, I know...but, I haven't seen one
yet, so I don't know what I should be looking for. I guess it would be good
to know what I'm looking at, or need to look for to make it work right. ??

Richard Steven Hack

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry, but, this confuses me. You say that I only put addresses for
domains I DO NOT want to access in the HOSTS file. Correct? Then, I don't
understand the benefit for me to have a HOSTS file, as I know what domains I
want to go to, but, I have no idea what domains I would not want to visit to
put their address into the HOSTS file. Plus, since I would not go there in
the first place, what point would there be to putting them in the HOSTS
file. ??

Not quite right. You can put ANY domain's IP address in the HOSTs
file. However, you only assign the 127.0.0.1 to domains you do NOT
want to access. All other can have their own valid external IP
address and will be accessed normally.

The way you find out what domains you do NOT want to visit is to
download one of the supplied HOSTS files that already have thousands
of ad server domains listed with all of them pointing to 127.0.0.1.

It's also not a question of your deciding not to go there in the first
place. It is a question of whether a site which you go to for
whatever reason (or are redirected to by a site which you have chosen
to visit for whatever reason) may be an ad-server unbeknownst to you
or which may have a page which access an ad server. The HOSTS file
protects you from those situations.
Perhaps my understanding is all wrong. I had the impression that the purpose
of the HOSTS file was to protect you from the ad servers on the areas of the
Internet that you normally access.

That is partially correct. As I indicate above, you can also use the
HOSTS file to access other Web sites. The advantage to this is that
if you know the IP address of the site you want to go to, the system
will get that IP address from the HOSTS file directly without having
to go out to the DNS server and have it looked up. This can speed up
Web surfing slightly. Of course, most of us don't know and don't
really care what the IP address is of the sites we visit - we usually
address them by domain name. But if you have a concern for efficient
surfing repeatedly to the same sites, you can learn the IP address of
the site and place it in the HOSTS file which will then be used by
Windows to access the site slightly faster than if it has to use the
DNS server of your ISP.
This is how I thought it was supposed to work, but, obviously my
understanding of how it is to be set up is all backwards.

No, you've pretty much got it, you just need to understand that the
HOSTS file can be used for both ad-blocking and for speeding up access
to repeatedly visited Web sites and that blocking an ad-server doesn't
necessarily block a domain that refers to the ad-server domain. Most
people just use it for ad blocking, tho. And such use doesn't
conflict with DNS as long as you don't put the 127.0.0.1 IP address in
for domains you DO want to visit.

In other words, to block an ad on Microsoft's Web site, you'd put the
ad-server domain name (which might be something like
adclick.spammer.com - which is referenced by Microsoft's Web page
HTML) in the HOSTS file with an IP address of 127.0.0.1, but you DON'T
put Microsoft's domain name in there with that IP address. Then when
you tell your browser to go to Microsoft, it goes to the HOSTS file,
doesn't find Microsoft, goes out to your ISP's name server and
requests Microsoft's IP address, gets it, retrieves Microsoft's main
page, then when your browser reads the reference in the main page HTML
to the ad server and tries to retrieve the ad, Windows goes to the
HOSTS file, sees the ad server has an address of 127.0.0.1, and does
absolutely nothing. So the ad is never returned, and your browser
loads the rest of the page more quickly because it never has to
download the ad. So you get the Microsoft page with everything except
anything coming from that ad server.

Clearer now?

Jan Il

Hi Richard,

Richard Steven Hack said:
[...]

Actually...Yes! ;-)) I also think it would be better for me, as a very
moderate user of the Net, to do as you say, and get a HOSTS program that
already has the lists of the ad server information, than for me to try at
this point to determine all the friends from foes This would afford me both
protection, and time to learn more about how everything actually fits
together, and how to sort things out so that I can use the program properly.

Thank you Richard, I really appreciate your extra time to help explain
things so that I have a much clearer understanding of all the aspects and
workings of this kind of program. :)

Jan :)

YoKenny

Jan said:
"ah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Oh....yeah....there is a question that drifted in from the
downlift.....when I go to the sites, where do I find the information
for the ad server that I need to put in the HOSTS file? I know, I
know...but, I haven't seen one yet, so I don't know what I should be
looking for. I guess it would be good to know what I'm looking at, or
need to look for to make it work right. ??

http://webpages.charter.net/hpguru/hosts/hosts.html

BoB

Unfortunatly there are many sites that rely on common misspellings of
popular sites for their nefarious tricks.

An example of one the latest, from microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
-----------

The Microsoft MVPs have a web domain, mvps.org, which contains what
we hope are a lot of useful articles aimed at being of help to users
of Windows.

We have become aware that there is another domain, mvp.org without
the s, and would advise you all that this has no connection with the
Microsoft MVP program or its members, and may put visitors at risk
of "drive-by" installs of malware.

Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Alex Nichol
Doug Knox
Kelly Theriot
Ken Blake

Microsoft MVP program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Jan Il

An example of one the latest, from microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
-----------

The Microsoft MVPs have a web domain, mvps.org, which contains what
we hope are a lot of useful articles aimed at being of help to users
of Windows.

We have become aware that there is another domain, mvp.org without
the s, and would advise you all that this has no connection with the
Microsoft MVP program or its members, and may put visitors at risk
of "drive-by" installs of malware.

Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Alex Nichol
Doug Knox
Kelly Theriot
Ken Blake

Microsoft MVP program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

This warning has been posted by several MVP's in most all, if not all of the
MS newsgroups, as obviously the ruse has worked very well for the blackards.
:-((

Jan :)

James Egan

This warning has been posted by several MVP's in most all, if not all of the
MS newsgroups, as obviously the ruse has worked very well for the blackards.

In all probability mvp.org was taken before mvps.org in which case it
is the Microsoft volunteer blackguards causing the confusion by
choosing their name similar to someone else's.

Maybe they think they have some sort of divine right to those
initials? They don't!

Jim.