    Events Monitor...
    and I'd like to know what it does for me, do I need it, what
    do I lose if I disable it, or what?

    William B. Lurie, Mar 17, 2010

  2. William B. Lurie wrote:
    > It's a 'service' that keeps showing up ans an 'event' in the
    > Events Monitor...
    > and I'd like to know what it does for me, do I need it, what
    > do I lose if I disable it, or what?

    Let me add the following 'event':

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Tcpip
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4201
    Date: 3/17/2010
    Time: 10:15:48 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: COMPAQ-2006
    The system detected that network adapter
    \DEVICE\TCPIP_{D5E50A75-4A1C-4421-A5B4-569C9FE131B8} was connected to
    the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 69 10 00 40 ....i..@
    0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

    So my follow-up question is:

    I am one isolated desktop PC, hard- wired by Ethernet to my ISP via
    DSL. Am I a network? Do I need a network adapter?

    William B. Lurie, Mar 17, 2010

  3. William B. Lurie

    Tom Willett Guest

    Google for tcpip and you'll have your answer.

    :
    : Let me add the following 'event':
    :
    : Event Type: Information
    : Event Source: Tcpip
    : Event Category: None
    : Event ID: 4201
    : Date: 3/17/2010
    : Time: 10:15:48 AM
    : User: N/A
    : Computer: COMPAQ-2006
    : The system detected that network adapter
    : \DEVICE\TCPIP_{D5E50A75-4A1C-4421-A5B4-569C9FE131B8} was connected to
    : the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.
    :
    : For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    : http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    : Data:
    : 0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
    : 0008: 00 00 00 00 69 10 00 40 ....i..@
    : 0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    : 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    : 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    :
    : So my follow-up question is:
    :

    Tom Willett, Mar 17, 2010
  4. On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:56:40 -0400, "William B. Lurie"
    <> wrote:

    > I am one isolated desktop PC, hard- wired by Ethernet to my ISP via
    > DSL. Am I a network?

    Two answers to that question:

    1. You are part of the network called the internet.

    2. You are not part of any local network.

    > Do I need a network adapter?

    You don't need more than you have, but you already have one. That's
    what the ethernet cable from the DSL modem plugs into--either as part
    of your motherboard or as a separate NIC (network interface card).

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Mar 17, 2010
  5. Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:56:40 -0400, "William B. Lurie"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am one isolated desktop PC, hard- wired by Ethernet to my ISP via
    >> DSL. Am I a network?

    > Two answers to that question:
    >
    > 1. You are part of the network called the internet.
    >
    > 2. You are not part of any local network.
    >

    >> Do I need a network adapter?

    > You don't need more than you have, but you already have one. That's
    > what the ethernet cable from the DSL modem plugs into--either as part
    > of your motherboard or as a separate NIC (network interface card).

    Thanks, Ken. The reason for the specific query goes back
    to the fact that Tcpip error is what is identified in Events
    Monitor as what has been preventing my system from going
    to hibernate if I set hibernate time for greater than 1 hour.

    The Tcpip interface somehow gets repeated every hour and
    I asked (and got not response) to the question of how do I
    get that repeated automatic inquiry time lengthened. If it's
    always one hour, it would seem logical that somewhere it is
    *set* as 1 hour, and could be changed......

    William B. Lurie, Mar 17, 2010
  6. Ken, here's a specific example of how Tcipp has
    prevented the system from going into hibernation.

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Tcpip
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4201
    Date: 3/17/2010
    Time: 5:27:18 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: COMPAQ-2006
    The system detected that network adapter
    \DEVICE\TCPIP_{D5E50A75-4A1C-4421-A5B4-569C9FE131B8} was connected to
    the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

    This initiation of normal operation over the network
    adapted was called by *something*, I'd like to know what,
    and as a result the hibernation process, scheduled for
    2 hours, was reset after 1 hour. Event Log has a similr
    entry (4201) approximately every hour.

    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 69 10 00 40 ....i..@
    0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

    William B. Lurie, Mar 17, 2010
  7. On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:12:42 -0400, "William B. Lurie"
    <> wrote:

    > Ken, here's a specific example of how Tcipp has
    > prevented the system from going into hibernation.

    Sorry, but I'll bow out of this thread. I know next to nothing about
    hibernation.

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Mar 17, 2010
  8. Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:12:42 -0400, "William B. Lurie"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ken, here's a specific example of how Tcipp has
    >> prevented the system from going into hibernation.

    > Sorry, but I'll bow out of this thread. I know next to nothing about
    > hibernation.

    Okay, Ken. I understand.
    But can somebody tell me where and how Tcpip gets initiated,
    and whether there is an adjustment of every how often it
    does its thing, since it has been established that Tcipp
    is an 'event' that prevents hibernation from happening on
    schedule.

    A search for Tcipp led to a multitude of analysis in depth
    and fixes for ills that are associated with it........but I
    didn't see an answer to the above question.

    William B. Lurie, Mar 18, 2010
  9. "William B. Lurie" <> wrote in message
    > It's a 'service' that keeps showing up ans an 'event' in the
    > Events Monitor...
    > and I'd like to know what it does for me, do I need it,

    It provides network transport services, and you need it if you want to
    connect to an ethernet network.

    > what
    > do I lose if I disable it, or what?

    You'll lose any kind of internet access.

    This hibernation issue may be related to a Wake-On-Lan setting for your
    network adapter or BIOS. the same sort of thing can happen if moving hte
    mouse or tapping a key will wake the system.

    So, look at the adapter or BIOS settings.

    But don't disableTCP/IP unless you really don't want to use your network
    access at all.

    HTH
    -pk

    HTH
    -pk

    Patrick Keenan, Mar 18, 2010
  10. "William B. Lurie" <> wrote in message
    > William B. Lurie wrote:
    >> It's a 'service' that keeps showing up ans an 'event' in the
    >> Events Monitor...
    >> and I'd like to know what it does for me, do I need it, what
    >> do I lose if I disable it, or what?

    > Let me add the following 'event':
    >
    > Event Type: Information
    > Event Source: Tcpip
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 4201
    > Date: 3/17/2010
    > Time: 10:15:48 AM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: COMPAQ-2006
    > The system detected that network adapter
    > \DEVICE\TCPIP_{D5E50A75-4A1C-4421-A5B4-569C9FE131B8} was connected to the
    > network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

    > Data:
    > 0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
    > 0008: 00 00 00 00 69 10 00 40 ....i..@
    > 0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    > 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    > 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    >
    > So my follow-up question is:
    >
    > I am one isolated desktop PC, hard- wired by Ethernet to my ISP via
    > DSL.

    And the connection is TCP/IP. And if you're connected to an ISP, the
    "isolation" of your system is arguable.

    > Am I a network?

    You aren't, but your machine is most certainly on one.

    > Do I need a network adapter?

    You already have one. That's what the ethernet cable plugs into.

    HTH
    -pk

    Patrick Keenan, Mar 18, 2010
  11. Patrick Keenan wrote:

    > "William B. Lurie" <> wrote in message
    >> It's a 'service' that keeps showing up ans an 'event' in the
    >> Events Monitor...
    >> and I'd like to know what it does for me, do I need it,

    > It provides network transport services, and you need it if you want to
    > connect to an ethernet network.
    >
    >> what
    >> do I lose if I disable it, or what?

    > You'll lose any kind of internet access.
    >
    > This hibernation issue may be related to a Wake-On-Lan setting for your
    > network adapter or BIOS. the same sort of thing can happen if moving
    > hte mouse or tapping a key will wake the system.
    >
    > So, look at the adapter or BIOS settings.
    >
    > But don't disableTCP/IP unless you really don't want to use your network
    > access at all.
    >
    > HTH
    > -pk
    >
    > HTH
    > -pk

    Patrick, I thank you for the specific education. So
    the TCP/IP is an essential part of my connection
    to Internet and must remain. But the Wake-on-LAN business
    sounds promising. Moving the mouse wakes my dormant
    system from any form of sleep except actual hibernation,
    which requires pushing the power-on button on the tower.

    Now I guess I have to get with HP as to the BIOS settings,
    or maybe my ISP (AT^T) who furnished the adapter (i.e.,
    modem). Or I could nose around in the BIOS to see if anything
    pops up.

    Any further advice regarding wake-on-LAN will be welcome from
    anybody........

    William B. Lurie, Mar 18, 2010
  12. William B. Lurie wrote:
    > Patrick Keenan wrote:
    >>
    >> "William B. Lurie" <> wrote in message
    >>> It's a 'service' that keeps showing up ans an 'event' in the
    >>> Events Monitor...
    >>> and I'd like to know what it does for me, do I need it,

    >> It provides network transport services, and you need it if you want to
    >> connect to an ethernet network.
    >>
    >>> what
    >>> do I lose if I disable it, or what?

    >> You'll lose any kind of internet access.
    >>
    >> This hibernation issue may be related to a Wake-On-Lan setting for
    >> your network adapter or BIOS. the same sort of thing can happen if
    >> moving hte mouse or tapping a key will wake the system.
    >>
    >> So, look at the adapter or BIOS settings.
    >>
    >> But don't disableTCP/IP unless you really don't want to use your
    >> network access at all.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >> -pk
    >>
    >> HTH
    >> -pk

    > Patrick, I thank you for the specific education. So
    > the TCP/IP is an essential part of my connection
    > to Internet and must remain. But the Wake-on-LAN business
    > sounds promising. Moving the mouse wakes my dormant
    > system from any form of sleep except actual hibernation,
    > which requires pushing the power-on button on the tower.
    >
    > Now I guess I have to get with HP as to the BIOS settings,
    > or maybe my ISP (AT^T) who furnished the adapter (i.e.,
    > modem). Or I could nose around in the BIOS to see if anything
    > pops up.
    >
    > Any further advice regarding wake-on-LAN will be welcome from
    > anybody........

    Continuing on, I'd like to present some more evidence that I
    believe bears on this same failure-to-hibernate problem.

    Overnight, my Events Log showed that WIA was invoked every
    hour, and I'm going to start a new thread to see if maybe *that*
    can be reset to not happen every hour.

    William B. Lurie, Mar 18, 2010
  13. William B. Lurie

    Bill P Guest

    Try setting WIA to manual.

    Bill P, Mar 18, 2010
  14. Good advice, Bill.... but I just checked again...
    it *is* Manual.

    William B. Lurie, Mar 18, 2010
  15. William B. Lurie

    Bill P Guest

    Is it manual and running or manual and not running ?

    Bill P, Mar 18, 2010