    version do I need to target?

    Thanks

    Regards

    John, Mar 7, 2008

  2. John

    Tom Shelton Guest

    On Mar 7, 4:11 pm, "John" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am developing a database app in vs 2008 and I don't need wpf. What fw
    > version do I need to target?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Regards

    Well, 3.0 and above has wpf, wcf, and wf - so if you don't need those
    or linq then 2.0 would be fine.

    --
    Tom Shelton

    Tom Shelton, Mar 8, 2008
  3. On Mar 8, 4:28 am, Tom Shelton <> wrote:
    > On Mar 7, 4:11 pm, "John" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi

    > > I am developing a database app in vs 2008 and I don't need wpf. What fw
    > > version do I need to target?

    > > Thanks

    > > Regards

    > Well, 3.0 and above has wpf, wcf, and wf - so if you don't need those
    > or linq then 2.0 would be fine.
    >
    > --
    > Tom Shelton

    Is there any new critial classes or fixes that came with 3.0 or 3.5
    that weren't included in 2.0 except the technologies you mentioned
    above? (wpf,wcf,linq...)

    I just wondered how much time remained for 2.0's lifetime.

    Thanks

    kimiraikkonen, Mar 8, 2008
  4. John

    Andrej Tozon Guest

    Kimi,

    for the latest fixes for 2.0 download the latest service pack. FX 3.0
    and 3.5 are just "add-ons" to 2.0 - if you don't need the technologies
    they bring along, you don't need them and can continue to target 2.0.
    Also note that a lot of new language features that came with Visual
    Studio 2008 and new compilers are also available to you when targeting
    2.0 (those include object initializers, automatic properties, lambdas,
    etc...)

    Andrej

    Andrej Tozon, Mar 9, 2008
  5. On Mar 9, 11:19 pm, Andrej Tozon <> wrote:
    > Kimi,
    >
    > for the latest fixes for 2.0 download the latest service pack. FX 3.0
    > and 3.5 are just "add-ons" to 2.0 - if you don't need the technologies
    > they bring along, you don't need them and can continue to target 2.0.
    > Also note that a lot of new language features that came with Visual
    > Studio 2008 and new compilers are also available to you when targeting
    > 2.0 (those include object initializers, automatic properties, lambdas,
    > etc...)
    >
    > Andrej
    >
    > On 8 mar., 10:38, kimiraikkonen <> wrote:

    > > > Well, 3.0 and above has wpf, wcf, and wf - so if you don't need those
    > > > or linq then 2.0 would be fine.

    > > > --
    > > > Tom Shelton

    > > Is there any new critial classes or fixes that came with 3.0 or 3.5
    > > that weren't included in 2.0 except the technologies you mentioned
    > > above? (wpf,wcf,linq...)

    > > I just wondered how much time remained for 2.0's lifetime.

    > > Thanks- Skrij navedeno besedilo -

    > > - Prikaži navedeno besedilo -- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks Andrej, so VS 2005 is OK for framework 2.0, not worth update to
    VS 2008 "just because of" these add-ons unless you need it.

    kimiraikkonen, Mar 9, 2008
  6. John

    Andrej Tozon Guest

    Well, it is ok, but you could find Visual Studio 2008 more useful than
    2005 even when not dealing with that new stuff. One example is a
    dataset designer, where Visual Studio 2008 can generate much better
    codebehind code than 2005 - you can part the actual dataset and
    datatables in different classes and take advantage of the newly
    generated TableAdapterManager class to update all tables in a dataset
    at once, in one transaction. If you're developing web projects, Visual
    Studio 2008 now offers Javascript intellisense and debugging, better
    CSS tools, etc...

    In general, Visual Studio 2008 is not just about support for FX
    3.0/3.t technologies, it's also about offering better tools and
    overall experience when dealing with apps for 2.0.

    Andrej

    Andrej Tozon, Mar 10, 2008
  7. John

    Spam Catcher Guest

    kimiraikkonen <> wrote in news:c9a3f660-f493-406a-
    :

    > Thanks Andrej, so VS 2005 is OK for framework 2.0, not worth update to
    > VS 2008 "just because of" these add-ons unless you need it.

    You can think of VS.NET 2008 as a refined version of 2005. It worth an
    upgrade if you can get your hands on 2008.

    --
    (Do not e-mail)

    Spam Catcher, Mar 10, 2008
  8. It really depends on what you are setting it to in the properties. I would
    aim for 2.0 if you do not need WPF, LINQ, WF, WCF, etc.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Mar 10, 2008