    I continuously get an overflow message in access when i am trying to download
    a report in my database. Does this mean that the database has too much
    information in it? What can be down to fix this problem?

    Guest, Sep 30, 2004

  2. Most likely it means that the size of a numeric value that is being imported
    into a table is *too large* or *too small* for the field type. For example,
    a field that is set for Integer can handle values between -32,768 and
    32,767. If you try to put the number 1,000,0000 into this field, the
    "overflow" message error will occur.

    --

    Ken Snell
    <MS ACCESS MVP>

    Ken Snell [MVP], Sep 30, 2004

    Allen Browne Guest

    An "overflow" occurs when a field is not big enough to accept the data.

    When you perform an import, Access looks at the first few rows of each
    column, and tries to determine whether it is Text, Date, Number, etc. If
    later columns prove to have wildly different values, its original decision
    about the type and size required may prove inadequate - particularly for
    Number fields.

    There are several workarounds, depending on where the data is coming from.
    If you are importing a Text file, you can click the Advanced button once you
    are in the Import Wizard, and you can define the data types of the fields
    you want to use. You can then save this Import Specification, and tell
    Access to use it again next time you perform a TransferText.

    If you are importing from Excel, see:
    "Numeric Field Overflow" error message occurs when you query a table
    that is linked to Excel spreadsheet
    at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815277&Product=acc
    or
    Import, export, and link data between Access and Excel
    at:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/assistance/HP010950951033.aspx?Product=acc

    The overflow is very easy to demonstrate:
    1. Open the Immediate window by pressing Ctrl+G.

    2. Enter:
    ? 200 * 200

    You receive an overflow, because Access treats these numbers as type
    Integer. When you multiply them, the result is bigger than 32767 (the
    largest integer), and so the integer type overflows. You can avoid this
    problem by forcing Access to treat at least one of the numbers as a Long
    Integer:
    ? CLng(200) * 200

    --
    Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.

    Allen Browne, Sep 30, 2004

    Anne Guest

    I got the overflow message, when my query resulted in #error because of
    division by a null value.
    Anne

    Anne, Oct 4, 2004