What does it mean when it say subscript out of range

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access External Data' started by Guest, Aug 20, 2007.

    I am in the process of importing excel into Access and I keep getting this
    message that states subscript is out of range.

    Guest, Aug 20, 2007

  2. This message is a "generic" one that indicates that the argument being
    supplied to a subroutine or function is "out of the range" that the function
    or subroutine expects or that it can find (e.g., suppose you have one form
    open, and your programming tells ACCESS to open the second form in the
    collection -- because there is no second form, you'd get this error
    message).

    You don't say how you're importing the file -- are you using File | Get
    External Data | Import menu? Or are you using a macro (TransferSpreadsheet
    action)? or VBA code (DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet method)?

    --

    Ken Snell
    <MS ACCESS MVP>

    Ken Snell \(MVP\), Aug 20, 2007

    I am actually transferring a excel worksheet file into access. I tranferred
    3 worksheet from the same workbook but the 2 are giving me the subscript is
    out of range.

    Guest, Aug 22, 2007

    I am actually importing an excel worksheet into access. I have imported 3
    worksheet from the same workbook so far but have been getting this message
    with the two of them.

    Guest, Aug 22, 2007

    I am importing from access External data.

    Guest, Aug 22, 2007
  6. What is the path and filename for the EXCEL file? What is the name of the
    worksheets in that file that are not importing?

    --

    Ken Snell
    <MS ACCESS MVP>

    Ken Snell \(MVP\), Aug 22, 2007

    Pete D. Guest

    Are you importing a named range in the spreadsheet? If the named range
    includes blanks you can get this. Pete D.

    Pete D., Aug 24, 2007

    i do experience for "subscript out of range", when importing Excel to Access.
    in my case, i did the followings:
    1. the Field name should be the same as in both Excel and Access.
    2. for the ID (Autonumber in Access) should be filled manual in Excel also.
    3. Cell format both in Access and Excel should be the same.
    HTH.

    Guest, Oct 2, 2007

    saima Guest

    jhhkhhkhk