    TexasDude Guest

    All I would like to know is what does CSV mean literally and how do you use
    it and do you do it?? -- Thx/Darrell

    TexasDude, Jun 18, 2008

  2. Perhaps I could introduce you to 2 useful facilities?
    One is Google, and the other is Excel help.
    --
    David Biddulph

    David Biddulph, Jun 18, 2008

  3. It stands for "comma separated values"
    Usually a text file with commas between the fields of data
    --
    Gary''s Student - gsnu200793

    Gary''s Student, Jun 18, 2008
  4. TexasDude

    Bob I Guest

    In reality, nowadays it should be "character" separated values
    (originally it was only commas though)

    Bob I, Jun 18, 2008
  5. TexasDude

    JLatham Guest

    TexasDude -
    Another thing or three about CSV files:
    They are output as plain ASCII text files - you can actually open them up
    with something like Notepad or Wordpad and look at them and work with them.
    This has the advantage of making them platform independent. That is, just
    about any computer operating system has the ability to read a plain ASCII
    file. So with the ability to read that type of file and knowing that data
    fields are separated with a particular character (as comma, semi-colon, pipe
    | or Tab or other) then you have a fairly versatile way of exchanging data
    between applications and computers.

    Yes - I do use them or their brother type of file: fixed field length files.
    Again, these are plain ASCII files with the data fields occupying specific
    character positions within a record that is usually either 80 or 128
    characters long. This works well also, but often at the expense of a lot of
    wasted space to fill out fields that can be long, but are short in some
    cases, with blanks to get the proper field positioning within a record.

    As for how do I use it - one way that it gets used where I work is to
    transfer data from an on-line timekeeping system into the company's
    accounting system. Another more generic way to use it might be in this
    scenario: presume you have a database program and a spreadsheet program.
    They can't talk directly to one another because they don't know the other's
    native file format. But both can write and read CSV files. So the CSV file
    becomes a vehicle for data exchange between the two applications.

    JLatham, Jun 18, 2008